If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

My wifes entitlement???

BazzaBhoy67BazzaBhoy67 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there, 
My wife has m.s & i have been led to believe she could probably receive PIP as a result??? 


  • Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,448 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BazzaBhoy67 and welcome to the community. PiP is not about the diagnosis, but how it affects a person's ability to carry out daily tasks and mobility. Let us know if we can help you further :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,204 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BazzaBhoy67 Welcome to the community nice to have you on board. PIP is about a person's  ability to carry out daily tasks. Using a set of descriptors they are assessed against their ability to carry out the task, any aids needed, any support, if they can d the task, how often they can do it etc.

    Dasily tasks include, eating, preparing meals, washing and bathing, taking medication, communicating, handling finances and the mobility section is seperate looking at mobility and being able to walk oir follow a journey.

    There is a lot of information about PIP on here and also on the internet. Let us know if you hav e any specific questions 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bazza and welcome to the community! 

    Here is the PIP descriptors which your wife would be tested against. This also might be helpful:

    PIP components

    PIP has 2 parts:

    • daily living component for people who need help to take part in everyday life
    • mobility component for people who find it hard to get around

    Each component has a standard or enhanced level, assessed under 12 activities, 10 for daily living and 2 for mobility. For both components, you need:

    • 8 to 11 points for the standard rate
    • 12 points or more for the enhanced rate

    To qualify, you must have met the conditions for 3 months and be likely to meet them for the next 9 months.

    If there is anything else then please let us know. :)
    Community Partner

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • atlas47atlas47 Member Posts: 118 Pioneering
    Hi @Bazza

    A very warm welcome.

    You should seek the assistance of the MS Society.

    They have a freephone helpline, that will link you with a benefits adviser, tel: 0808 800 8000.

    Let us know how you get on.

    Stay kind and be safe.

    Best wishes
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,769 Disability Gamechanger
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,009 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    Hi @BazzaBhoy67 - & welcome to the community from me too. Thank you for joining. I'm sorry your wife has MS & hope you're both coping at this difficult time.
    I remember someone here saying about a useful booklet done by the MS Society. With apologies if you've already seen it, but sending 'just in case,' as it's more specific in helping a person with MS claim PIP. Please see: https://www.mssociety.org.uk/care-and-support/resources-and-publications/publications-search/claiming-personal-independence-payment-booklet  which you can download as a pdf.
    I'm sure their helpline will also be helpful, as mentioned above. My best wishes to you both. :)

Sign in or join us to comment.