Query regarding the 'one way system' in place in shops — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Query regarding the 'one way system' in place in shops

DotDelfino
DotDelfino Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Today, I went down and 'up' aisle, about 10 feet, to get bread. A clerk came over to me and said "sorry, this is a one way system and you're going the wrong way." There were people about and it was embarrassing; I admit I forgot about it being one-way. I just said I was getting bread and walked away. Is it really necessary to embarrass people like that? I am disabled and cannot walk very far at times. I won't go to Tesco again. 
Tagged:

Comments

• sheZZa
    sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
    @DotDelfino
    the same happened to me in Asda. I already been up the aisle but had forgotten to pick something up so went back on myself. The security guard saw me told me that I was allowed to do that and to go round and come back up. 
  • DotDelfino
    If shops are not taking into consideration those who cannot walk the maze, we are in trouble and they'd better have a lot of scooters. As long as we stay 3 metres apart, there shouldn't be a problem. I don't know what to do!
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DotDelfino

Good Afternoon & Welcome ??

I’m one of the “Community Champion’s” here at “Scope”

We are all here to “help/support” any “new members”

Yes we are going to be “living” in a very “different way” from now on.

“This is going to take time to get used too”

But it is going to be “beneficial” for us all in the “long run” “believe me”

@steve51
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    hI @DotDelfino welcome to scope,how are you today? we always shop at tesco and have found there "rules" for social distancing fair and reasonable the rule is 2 metres distance (or 6ft. 6"), must admit I have been "told off" a few times for going the wrong way but it was done quietly and well mannered, you will no doubt find simlar rules in place at all supermarkets and from Monday in other shops when they re-open.
    Just to add our local tesco extra always seem to have lots of scooters avaliable.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• DotDelfino
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I just don't like attention drawn to me, and I'm sure others don't either. I am very careful to keep my distance, even though I've had to 'step out of the way' a time or two because the other shoppers didn't take notice. I think it's ridiculous to think a person with mobility problems, no matter what or how severe they may be, is going to walk two lengths of an aisle at times to get where they needed (not wanted!) to be. After that episode today, I won't be shopping at Tesco again unless there's no way around it.
    Telling me, showing me, pointing it out, is one thing; embarrassing me is another.
    I haven't seen disabled 'access' or rules mentioned at all; have I missed something?
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I sympathise as I don't like having attention drawn to me either.

Obviously I wasn't there so I don't know for example the tone they spoke to you in but I wouldn't have thought they did it maliciously or intended to draw other peoples' attention.

I have encountered a few grumpy shop assistants myself during the "lockdown" but most have been well-mannered, helpful and just trying to make the best of the situation.
  • DotDelfino
    I wish I felt the same. She was not at all helpful or courteous. She was blunt and to the point. (old bag)
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DotDelfino

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience.

In this day & age this should not be the case.

I haven’t experienced this myself since the 19’s when I first became disabled.

@steve51
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I wish I felt the same. She was not at all helpful or courteous. She was blunt and to the point. (old bag)
    She could have just been having a bad day, can't of been easy for any of the retail staff who have worked their socks off during lockdown.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DotDelfino - I'm very sorry how your recent experience made you feel; it certainly shouldn't have happened that way. Just to say my son works in a small food retailer. At first during lockdown he had several customers thanking him for his service. Not so long ago he was sworn at most foully. Normally he's in charge of the shop & has an assistant; that day his colleague was another of the management team. They ended up serving the customers that had been abusive to the other. They are seeing unprecedented numbers of customers in their shop, & it can be difficult at times.
    Whilst he can now be in my 'social bubble,' he still just knocks on the door & stands in the garden to talk. Why? because he's seeing so many customers, & is worried one might have Covid-19 & he might potentially pass this on to me. I don't know how long it will be before I can get a hug from my son because of the work he does.
    It is a difficult time for all of us. Sorry for the ramble; @woodbine has put this more succinctly than I. :)
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    why why cut off your nose to spite your face, nipping back because you forgot an item and being reminded that the shop has a one way system in operation to help keep everybody safe is not a good reason to stay away or not shop there again. While I was out at our local Tesco a lady pushed her trolley half the length of an isle going the wrong way, on telling her the reply was it doesn’t matter. But the floor markings are and where big enough and she drives so no excuse.
  • Si_Obhan
    Si_Obhan Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    I have had the same problem... I was in M&S yesterday getting food (more expensive but queue shorter than Asda and I have to pee every 30 mins). I have always found the staff to be nice in there but someone as funny with me for not social distancing. I use a power chair which with anti tip wheels is about a metre long. I was actually 2m away from the person in front but the person behind me was on the lines on the floor but obviously because of my chair being so long they were stood too close to me, which was apparently my fault. Some people are just jobsworths, try not to take it personally.
  • DotDelfino
    Thank you, 

Si_Obhan

I wasn't curt or rude to the store person, just letting them know (as she was there the entire time), I was getting a loaf of bread. Yes, she saw me, but if everyone is as rude as the previous commenter is, no wonder we have had people not wanting to go out. Me, too, it seems. If I CAN'T walk is different than being able bodied, and causing trouble where there should be none. I bid you all goodbye. 
  • Si_Obhan
    Si_Obhan Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    I don’t believe it’s in anyone’s best interest for you to accidentally walk past the bread, then have do another lap of the aisles to get it when you’re only a few meters away. If anything, that keeps you in the store for longer, in contact with more people. It also doesn’t help people who can walk but not too far. I think as a society we should allow a bit of leeway and just be more understanding. We are all doing what we can. I wouldn’t worry @DotDelfino you are not being unreasonable x
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sainsburys don't use a one way system...or at least my one doesn't.  

I keep forgetting that Tesco does when I shop there instead, have been reminded a couple of times for going the wrong way but I didn't take offence to it.  It's in everyone's best interest that we follow it, even if it is a bit inconvenient and awkward when there's no-one else in that aisle lol.  I just write my list in order of the shelves now so I don't have to double back on myself.
  • sheZZa
    sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
    @OverlyAnxious
    i shop in Sainsbury’s too and I think they don’t have a one way system because their aisles are wide. It’s just as well because they keep moving their products around so you have to go looking anyway. 

Brightness