Filling in PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Filling in PIP

Joe1999
Joe1999 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Hi everyone
I am diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety FM OA and Scoliosis. I‘m confused about filling in this form and the descriptors. For Cooking and Washing I both need persuading and assistance to do this. Can anyone advise as to which one I answer to?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Joe1999 - The PIP form certainly is a bit daunting, & you do end up repeating yourself quite a lot. Just explain the difficulties you have, & why. Altho you would get the same points for needing prompting or assistance, you don't have to say that it's one or the other, so if you need both, do say.
    If you can, for each of the descriptors that applies, give a couple of examples of the difficulties you face for each. Say for example why you need help, what you need help with; how often do you need this help, what happens if you don't have it; can you do something safely; do you lack motivation, is it painful, & if so where; can you repeat the activity as often as you'd like; does it fatigue you either during, or after the activity; can you do it to an acceptable standard, does it take you longer than someone who doesn't have your disabilities, etc?
    I hope some of this helps, & do ask more questions if needed, as there's usually someone here who will try to help. :)

• Joe1999
    Thank you so much. The problem I was having is that I need prompting and assistance due to chronic pain. That’s why I was struggling to pick what descriptors to use to the form. I’ll just give examples of my day to day situation and see what happens. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Him @Joe1999 Welcome to the community, its good you have been given the advice you were looking for it really can be daunting.
    Good luck with the claim and keep us updated
  • Joe1999
    Thank you and I certainly will.
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    hi @Joe1999, welcome  :) there are some really beneficial links that adrian/chloe scope and other members can give you the link to, they are truly amazing in telling you what you should/shouldnt write on app forms, also for PIP applications you must explain how your chronic pain etc impacts on you daily activities/dangers when attempting tasks/you lack of ability to carry out everday/basic tasks in a safe way. good luck, stay safe and best wishes :)
  • Joe1999
    Hi @katho31 that would be absolutely fantastic. Have you any idea how I could get them as I honestly find this form really daunting. I have no idea what to say or not say and what descriptor to pick for the best.
  • katho31
    Hi @Joe1999, if you hang on a little while, another member will help you i promise, im still unsure how to click on a helpline to post it to yours, anything else i will try be best to help, what i do know is you cant put ie; "Ive got arthritis and it hurts", it is NOT the disability itself, it is the way your illness/disability/anxiety/depression etc prevents you SAFELY carrying out a certain chore/activity day to day, you may feel anxious? so they want to know what happens to your body, sweating, overwhelmed,shaking, unable to think rationally,feeling as if you are having a complete meltdown. please keep online for a while and someone will hep you who is more informed  :)
  • Joe1999
    Thank you so much. I really do struggle more with my pain with my condition hence I don’t know what to say to really get my point across. I really do appreciate your help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Joe1999, how are you today?

It's great that you have been looking at the descriptors when filling out your PIP form. I would suggest that you mention both prompting and assisting. You can only meet one criteria for each descriptor, but saying both will give them more background.

I hope this helps. :)
    Scope

• katho31
    hi has anyone online got anymore help for @Joe1999? thanks
  • Awesomelorenzo
    Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    I couldn't even fill in the form. None of it applied to me. The cooking part was confusing. I've never actually tried to fend for myself and cook...or do anything else for that matter. Don't know whether I could do it or not.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.