PIP issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP issues

Jamesd49
Jamesd49 Posts: 132 Connected
Hi, I posted about my PIP at the end of April, I thought I would post an update, below is a copy of my original post then I will include an update. 

"I applied for PIP in February 2018. 
Due to various issues with me filling out forms and assessments been cancelled. 
I finally had my phone assessment on 14th April 2020. 
After the assessment I was not happy with the phone call, I was concerned the person wasn't listening and had misheard me on things.
Due to issues with me being ill I never filled out my book or provided further evidence such as medical reports. 
After the phone call on the 14th April, I rang the DWP and said I would still like to present my book and evidence, they said that was fine and they would put a note on my file. 
They told me very clearly that my PIP would not be assessed until I had provided my book or further evidence. 
They sent me an envelope which I only received a few days. 
I received a letter today, dated 21st April, with the outcome to my PIP assessment. I failed. 
Shock the person failed to write in the report half the stuff I said and the report isn't a true reflection on the call and what was discussed.
What is the best way to move forward? 
Clearly the DWP lied, they told me in a very clear and straightforward way they would wait for my evidence before reviewing my account. 
I don't think I had even received my envelope by the time they posted the outcome. 
I have just spent over an hour on the phone to PIP trying to get help. 
Their phone service is so difficult to use, I have autism so struggle with communication. I am left feeling so update. 
The call centre advisor told me that nothing can be done other than a mandatory consideration. 
Then I spoke a case manager who said because it was their fault, they can review it again before it goes to a mandatory consideration. 
So I am not sure what is happening, as every person I spoke to has said something different"

So a month and half on I still don't have the report they agreed to send me, I think after about three weeks I realised it wasn't coming. 

I keep meaning to ring up, but I hate ringing the DWP whether its PIP or UC, their phone lines and staff are so unfriendly, half the time I ring up and speak about a previous call the notes are not there so I have to go back through everything, I find half the time, like this they agree a plan of action like sending a report and it never happens. So I put it off and find an excuse not to call. I have told myself I will ring up next week. 

But as far as I can tell, they told me they would wait for my book, but instead assessed me without the further info. 

So they have agreed to send me the PIP report, so I can compare that to the report I got from the assessor, then that will allow me to include info which was missed on the phone assessment. Then they will review it, then I can have a MR and then go to tribunal. 

Sorry for the long, complicated post, it's not been an easy process, it would have been if they did what they said and stuck to the original plan of allowing me to send further evidence then my case looked at, it even said that on the system but the assessor decide to ignore that comment. 

Any help is really appreciated. 

Thanks 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Jamesd49. Thank you for the update. It must be very frustrating to still not have received the report despite them agreeing to send it. Sadly for your next steps it would be useful to have the report so you can base your appeal off of the areas you feel you should have been awarded points.

I hope when you call they are able to sort it out quickly and get the report out to you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jamesd49 It sure seems like you have had a run around with your application.

What help do you need it isn't very clear from your post what help yo want from us, is there a specific question your have or are you looking for similar instances ?

Either way good luck and hope it is sorted soon
  • Jamesd49
    Just some advice on how to manage and handle the situation. 

With my Autism I struggle at the best of times with the DWP, so for them to set out a plan of sending me the report then not doing it is super stressful for me and it puts me off calling up cause of how bad they are
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I had reason yesterday to speak to the DWP apart from the 37 minute wait the lady I spoke to was as helpful as she could be, one of the problems at the moment is that there have been 100,000's new applications for JSA and UC, and staff have been moved around to deal with this avalanche, so now you have some of them working in departments they have little or no knowledge of, BUT non of this should put you off calling them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Have you managed to call up and request it again @Jamesd49?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jamesd49
    @Adrian_Scope nope, maybe tomorrow 
  • Jamesd49
    Small update, I have still not managed to call, I had a chat with somebody from my local autism charity on Monday and I have sort of come to the conclusion that maybe I won't take it forward, dealing with the PIP service, doing the book, trying to fight with them on what was said during a phone assessment, as they missed out the key bits of info isn't great or fun. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jamesd49, thank you for taking the time to share this with us. I'm glad you were able to talk it through with someone.

It is completely up to you if you choose to appeal. We will support the decision you make. :)
    Scope

• Jamesd49
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Not a problem @Jamesd49, I hope you have a lovely afternoon. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.