DefineTerminal Illness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DefineTerminal Illness

male45
male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
Below is a link to a news article explaining that Lorraine Cox of Darrylin  in Northern ireland is asking a court here in Belfast to review her case when she claimed PIP 
Hopefully she wins and it helps others suffering from MND 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53081997
Best Wishes 

Comments

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    hi @male45, i have just read the article, so very upsetting. i hope and pray she gets the entitlement she deserves. what a utter disgrace, but thank god she has somehow found the strength to fight and hope she wins, and yes it will help many others. such brave lady
  • male45
    Hi @katho31
    I totally agree with everything  you said. Shes been very brave and should never have had to go throufh so much.
    I'll try and keep an eye on her case. Tonight a short note just said hearing to continue Friday.
    Thank you 
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I'll probably get into trouble for stating this but PIP is not there to support terminal illness, it is there to support people with ability limiting conditions once they are actively limiting. This is the main reason why I get so frustrated with people thinking that Cancer is a disability. If and when ANY illness or condition limits abilities then and only then should they be able to get PIP and support from the health services for maintaining at least some sort of life. I have seen so many people who are actually disabled and getting no help, who cannot look after themselves and who have little or nothing to look forward to that when I see or hear someone who is fit and able claiming they deserve support simply because they will die soon I get very annoyed. Yes it is sad and a shame but it is up to them to deal with it and make the best of it and not expect everyone else to look after them until they need it.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Probably playing Devil's advocate here, but MND can be progressive, & there is no known cure, but some people who have it can live a very long time (consider Stephen Hawking). Don't get me wrong, as I would hope Lorraine is awarded PIP, & no, it shouldn't have taken so long for a decision to be made.
    I completely disagree with Topkitten however, as PIP is for both people whose disability impacts their daily living &/mobility, & provision is also made for people with a terminal illness, which may, or may not be cancer (which can undoubtedly be disabling in many instances). They are not mutually exclusive. Please see the DWP's guidance to verify this: https://www.gov.uk/pip/claiming-pip-if-youre-terminally-ill

• katho31
    edited November 2022
    i have put you, mike [removed by moderator], on my ignore list. i would be grateful if you did not use my name again. simple as that. your advice is not welcome to myself.
  • male45
    @katho31 and @Username_removed
    I am so sad to read that because I posted a discussion on define terminal illness that you are both upset with each others posts. 
    May I humbly apologise  to you both and offer to the admins to please remove my topic from the forum.
    I never ever would wish any member to fall out .
    I honestly am so thankful to all here who have made a contribution to the topic.

Please consider this topic closed as I do not wish further controversy between members.

@admins please close this as I don't know how.

@katho31 and @Username_removed PLEASE SHAKE HANDS 
    Best Wishes 
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi @male45

Could I suggest that you keep this thread open.

The case you have highlighted was heard in the Court of Appeal, in Northern Ireland, last week. Before three Judges and a record of these proceedings will be made public in a week or so.

I will post their findings on this thread, so we all have a better understanding.

I also wish to register my support to Lorraine Cox, for having to have to go through with this Judicial Review, whilst at the same time, dealing with her recent diagnosis of MND.

May her God be with her.

Stay kind and be safe.

Best wishes
  • katho31
    hi @atlas47, thank you for informing everyone, and also thank you for telling us that you are going to post their findings. im interested to know the outcome, please try to ignore my own disagreement with another person who posts. i did not sign up to this website to upset anyone, but nor can i or will i be either disregarded or told my views whilst posting online are annoying/upsetting to a certain person. the person im referring to has been told, many times, not just by myself, to stop. if this continues to happen and my name is mentioned, i will take action. best wishes, take care and be kind  :)
  • katho31
    hi, @male45, dont worry, you are a very empathetic person, many on this forum appreciate and relate to your post. stay connected, i dont know whether adrian/chloe from scope work online at the weekend? i will be speaking to them on monday anyway, dont be upset or think you have done anything to upset any of us please. ive only been online a couple of months, so still finding my feet so to speak  :) stay safe, be kind and god bless you all  :)
  • atlas47
    edited June 2020
    Hi @Username_removed

I have much more to say about your prediction about COPD.
  • katho31
    hi @atlas47, i and many more are looking forward to that, my late and dear mother passed away may 2018, she never smoked but had COPD, she had asthma as a young child, grew up near a colliery and went on to work at Beechams, where they werent given masks/little or no health and safety so didnt have a chance. people in her close family smoked, as did a lot then and she sadly succummed to this dreadful illness.
  • male45
    edited June 2020
    HI Folks

Ok @admins.PLEASE IGNORE MY PREVIOUS REQUEST TO CLOSE THIS TOPIC..THANK YOU ? 

Folks I really do appreciate all your support and comments.
    I will keep searching bbc new ni for updates of the case.  @atlas47 if you find the update of her case by all means post it please. ? 
    I do support anyone who is brave enough to go to court to fight for what they feel is right.

I do wish Lorraine all the best of Irish and hope she wins.. 

My best wishes to you all here. Please enjoy the rest of your weekend. And may I wish all the fathers a very happy fathers day.
    Male45

Best Wishes 
  • katho31
    best wishes, take care and stay safe  :)
  • atlas47
    Interesting reading slightly more detail here. 

Not sure whether the UC element is part of the JR but the cancer analogy looks weak to me. Few people with cancer get an accurate prognosis. As per my example above many people live much longer than their prognosis and many people much less. It’s certainly the case that a number of people get PIP DL under the special rules but then live longer than 6 months. My point being that the prognosis for cancers is not necessarily any more accurate than it is for MND or indeed many other similar conditions. It has an arguably similar “unpredictable trajectory” as they put it.

Nowhere in the argument does it address the thorny issue of the fact that most people with life-limiting conditions who struggle to go the DS1500 route do so not because of their condition but because the professionals who could certify them decline to do so for a wide variety of reasons.  

The process certainly needs revisiting and has been widely raised by a number of organisations in the last couple of years. Reform producing genuine improvements is rarely easy. The inference that cancer patients largely have it easier seems a little misguided to me. Both conditions are horrible but I’m not sure this is the case to pin reform on. 
    I agree with your earlier post on this thread, “News sites are not a great place to get to the truth of a story...”

Then you recycle another “News site”, knowing that I have previously stated, I will post the Judicial Review of this specific case, via BAILII, in due course.

Not sure why you need to create such speculation, without reading the actual facts and arguments of a specific case.
  • atlas47
    Hi @Username_removed

Crack on.

Keep your schoolboy arguments at bay, I’m off to play with my mates, in the playground.

Stay kind and be safe.
  • CJ61
    CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Please people....be kinder to each other. Isnt life difficult enough already
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    If people want to argue with each other can you please pm each other rather than writing 'snarky' passive aggressive posts on here. It's disturbing for others. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I've unfortunately had to close this thread, which is disappointing as it could have made for a very interesting discussion about an important topic.

Please remember that it's okay not to share the same opinions or to agree on everything. However, it's not okay to cause offence or attack another because you don't agree with them.
    Community Manager
    Scope
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.