Innovative new electric wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Innovative new electric wheelchair

cafc93
cafc93 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi guys - I wanted to share the details of The Centaur - an incredible new personal electric vehicle designed to help the elderly and those with mobility issues.

They are crowdfunding at the moment on Crowdcube - you can access their campaign using the link below:

[Removed by moderator]

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cafc93 Thank you for sharing with us I am sure this will be of interest to some of our members including myself 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    Hi @cafc93. While this is very interesting (and thank you for sharing!) I've had to remove the link as we don't allow linking to crowdfunding sites.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • cafc93
    I understand Adrian. Perhaps I can just share their website then? https://centaurrobotics.com/
    Is there any kind of newsletter or anything I might be able to share the campaign in? Thanks.

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Hmmm.....able bodied designers strike again.

No clue what the price will be . Nor weight. Doesn't  look easy to transport.
      Doesn't  look like an epioc, either. Kerb climbing? Rough ground?
    Looks like a modified gyroscope,  but for a disabled  person,  can balance  be maintained?

Heaven knows a new smooth looking design is welcome. But....
    At a glance, no option for sideways transfer,  no twist seat, no option to get arm out of the diagonal obstructing position. 

No clue on suspension,  no shock absorbing, no padding.
    Rising seats are no longer a novelty. 

And for goodness  sake, no variation on the age old enforcement of hand position and of no option to alternate hand strain.  Above all, the usual fixing of the control at the end of the armrest, so both the vital delicate part of machine, and of user, get maximum bashing from doorways or passers by.

Did any human ever choose to sit bolt upright, holding an arm rigidly at right angle,  using only one hand, as a useful position to control a laptop, a game, a steering wheel, a book, or anything, at all, ever?
    No, of course not. But every electric wheelchair demands this. Why?  

Blasted horrible huge footprint mobility scooters do at least allow hand change, and central position.
    But I want an 8mph EPIOC that gets me on the road, then gets me round indoors, easily,  and lets me rest and position my spine as suits me, and cushions it from jolts.  And for longer trips it should dismantle for transport.  And tyres should allow for different surfaces.  And it should look cool.

Since the Covid, I'm scared of transport other people have just vacated, so even black cabs won't do, and I need maximum use of my own personal bubble of transport.  
  • cafc93
    The vehicle was founded by someone whose son has cerebral palsy. It comes apart for easy transport and the device is 70 kilos in weight. It turns on its own footprint so has good manoeuvrability indoors and outdoors. And it is not designed to cater to all disabilities.
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 364 Pioneering
    Love the look of the chair but for me I need a short depth seat and your design is fixed. I need footplates that can be altered as my legs stick out a bit. What height is the seat? The lower the better for me as im only 4ft 3in. Good luck anyway!

Brightness