PIP process for post surgery bilateral talipes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP process for post surgery bilateral talipes

Wadeyy
Wadeyy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi guys, i was born with bilateral talipes (club foot) in both feet, had numerous operations to correct them. told i would never be a football player all that stuff.

im 28 and for past 3-4 years the pain in my feet ankles legs and knees is getting worse and constant and getting more chronic, it’s worse at night and morning. left ankle swells all the time after walking. right ankle doesn’t move around like a normal persons ankle.

i am 4 months into physiotherapy, told to use crutches which they’ve supplied and been told to ring GP to get referred to a Orthopaedic. i’m considering applying for PIP motability to assist me further and help me.

is it a hard process and what’s the likability of me getting it? 

thank you

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wadeyy and welcome to scope, firstly you apply for PIP not just one part of it, remember that PIP is for help with your care and/or mobility needs and its not based on a condition, you should search the internet for "pip descriptors" which will help you decide if you might qualify, if you do apply any evidence i.e letters from consultants etc that are relevant will help. Its not the easiest process but its quite doable, as to the likelyhood of you getting it thats a question non of us can answer.
    You might want to try and get help from CAB or welfare rights, if there is anything we can clarify just ask.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Wadeyy
    thank you for your help, have a good evening :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome as woodbine has said PIP isn't about a condition or diagnosis it is about how your daily living is affected by your condition things kike, preparing food, bathing, dressing, eating, communication, and mobility.

It isn't always an easy process but depends on the information you give in the application and supporting evidence

As suggested go through the descriptors and see if you think you would score any points against them
  • Wadeyy
    thank you both of you.

only issues i have is walking, i am in so much pain after, like i’ve been to a friends today. hardly done anything just walk in and from the garden there and i’m sat down right now and the pain that’s in my feet is unbearable.

i can’t walk very much without having to sit down.

its quite scary as i am only 28. i’ve been referred to the orthopaedics. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope you get some joy at the orthopedics.  I'm not sure if it will be worth you applying for Pip but you may qualify for mobility part depends how far you can walk how long it takes you and how often you can repeat it 
  • Captainwull
    Captainwull Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
    Hi Wadley, like yourself I was born with Bilateral Talipes. How did you get on with your PIP application?

I gave up my business in 2007 to have a double amputaion, applied and got DLA at the full rate. When I had to change over to PIP in 2019 I was rejected. Unfortunately, as others have said, getting PIP isnt based on your physical condition.

I'm in my 60's now, so I've lived with the condition a bit longer than you. Take care of your knees, keep them strong, take up low impact exercising such as cycling, and keep your weight down.
    Not all the pain you will feel is bad pain.

I started cycling shortly before my amputation, I cancelled it and still have my lower legs today. I cant really walk anymore but I can still cycle. I use a Brompton Bike instead of a wheelchair.
    I was around 30 when I started to get the pains you feel now. They dont go away, you just have to learn to live with it, find different ways of doing things, and most of all dont let it get you down.

• Wadeyy
    Good morning Captainwull,

I managed to get PIP motability lower rate. 

My left knee is getting quite bad when walking up stairs etc or if I’ve done a bit of walking then the following day or 2 I can feel it in my feet etc.

I’ve been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both my ankles so that’s what the pain is coming from I guess.

Like you said, it’s just living with the pain I need to start doing.

hope you’re well.
  • Captainwull
    Captainwull Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
    Thats good you got it, every little helps.
    I used to find accupuncture was good for the athritic pains, but you need to find a good accupuncturist as your nerves etc wont be in the same place as normal legs. It doesnt last, but it does give you relief. 

I'm now using Cannabis balm, it works almost instantly. You still feel the pain but its a lot lessened, it helps you get things done when all you want to do is sit down. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.