Going abroad for medical treatment- any experiences? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going abroad for medical treatment- any experiences?

ElaFo
ElaFo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello lovely community, 
my mom is due to have surgery abroad. This was based on her Uk GP advice. He gave us a letter saying this is the best thing to do as here everything has been delayed for the Covid-19 outbreak. The time abroad will be around 1 month and half including her rehabilitation. She receives Universal Credit and PIP so when I asked the DWP if this would affect her benefits they told me that she is allowed to go abroad for medical treatment for up to 28 weeks BUT the final decision will be made by a decision maker so there is a chance her benefit would stop. (?)

Have you ever manage to go abroad for medical treatment without your benefits beings affected?
Let me know you experiences, if there is anything I can do/evidence/documents to make sure they won't cut her benefits. 
Thank you!! 

Comments

• Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    Oh my dear don’t know the answer to the benefits I am so sorry but is there no chance she can have it done here on the NHS, what sort of surgery is it if you don’t mind me asking. I have had heart trouble and the NHS were wonderful , just had a hip replacement in Tenerife Cos I had a fall there and I was kept in bed for 10  days whereas they get you up following day here so it prolonged my recovery. The surgery was great , hip fine , just the aftercare. Xx
  • ElaFo
    ElaFo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Lulu, thank you for your reply! It is a hip replacement too! :-)) The thing is my mom has also severe depression and she's been waiting to have it with the NHS for a year now. The uk hospital told me that she is unlikely to have it done before Nov/Dec. She has osteoarthitis and to the point she cannot walk anymore...so the GP advised me to go abroad and get it done asap. 
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    im sorry to hear of your situation. i would ring your local council regarding having surgery abroad. also ring dwp as it does state that you can only be abroad for medical reasons for one  month. hope someone can advise you on this shortly. just my opinion, but i would be hesitant to go abroad for this operation.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @katho31 @ElaFo @Adrian_Scope
    katho31 said:
    im sorry to hear of your situation. i would ring your local council regarding having surgery abroad. also ring dwp as it does state that you can only be abroad for medical reasons for one  month. hope someone can advise you on this shortly. just my opinion, but i would be hesitant to go abroad for this operation.

As above you can actually go abroad for medical treatment for up to  26 weeks, as you have done you need to inform DWP of this and they will make a decision.

Im not sure what evidence they will need I would imagine anything you have like letters from consultant, discharge notes any medical evidence I would keep in case it is asked for 

I hope your mums surgery is a success

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I wold think they would take into account the reason why there is the need to go abroad for the treatment, so evidence of how long the wait is in UK and how the wait will impact on the person
  • Lulu_1949
    @ElaFo asI said before that’s what I had, it’s a huge op and it’s afterwards, it was a nightmare getting me home afterwards, I had to sit across three seats on the way home, and have the ambulance to the airport and an ambulance waiting for me in this country.. the pain lasts quite a while. It’s lovely that you are giving your mum support. My kids were there for me. Choose wisely my love xx
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Evidence; the details of the hospital, dates and op, plane tickets showing date to return.

There are of course delays in the UK for such operations, but there are also similar delays in other countries, I would also imagine getting insurance to cover such a trip would be very expensive and I can't imagine flying home having had a hip replacement would be a good idea. If it can be done by the NHS in 4 months that would be my option tbh.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lulu_1949
    @woodbine yes agree with you 100% , the pain is unbearable, couldn’t even contemplate getting up to go to the loo on the plane.hurts just remembering it ! X
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @ElaFo I am amazed her GP suggested that. The GP would have been better to re-refer as an urgent case. 
  • Lulu_1949
    I agree agree with Cressida, would rather wait and have it done here x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.