Is it worth pursuing an appeal for any back payment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it worth pursuing an appeal for any back payment?

Options
BambiBoozle
BambiBoozle Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited July 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone  <3 I have a PIP query. I was raised to enhanced mobility in February,  after a review. The reason for the change in circumstances was an operation I had 2 years previously, and which I had informed them of at the time. Is it worth pursuing an appeal for any back payment? I asked for a mandatory reconsideration, but they didn't even answer my question!! Thanks, stay safe lovely peeps xxx

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BambiBoozle

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today ?

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Well done yes it is well worth fighting your corner when it comes to “pip”

You will find many members who have been through the same as you.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with getting around?? 

@steve51

• BambiBoozle
    Options
    Hi @steve51 , thank you so much for the warm welcome - it's lovely to meet you! With regards to the PIP,,  I wasn't sure what the rules were regarding back payments. I waited 2 months for my mandatory reconsideration and they didn't even answer my question - they must be taking a cue from Boris Johnson! Thanks again, and have a fab Friday xxx
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @BambiBoozle

You are very very welcome ?

We have got some info on pip if that would help?????

As as for Boris we had better not go there!!!!!!!’

Have a good weekend and remember I am here if you need me!!!!!!!

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BambiBoozle - welcome to the community. It sounds like you reported a change of circumstances & therefore had a new claim. When you mention you asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration, was this just by ringing, or did you follow this up with a written Mandatory Reconsideration?
    You mention you now have the enhanced rate for the mobility component, so were you hoping to query the daily living component, or the length of your award with a Mandatory Reconsideration?
    Apologies if I'm not understanding, but your replies to my queries might help regarding this. :)
  • BambiBoozle
    Options
    Hi @chiarieds , it's lovely to meet you! Thanks so much for taking the time to message. I previously had the standard rate for personal care, and the enhanced for mobility. After this was increased, I applied in writing, asking if the payment could be backdated as the change in my circumstances had been reported 2 years ago ( I had a second emergency surgery for Cauda Equina Syndrome. I recieved a response today, and they have assessed my claim without actually addressing my issue. I know I'm very lucky to have my award increased, it's just that the decision should have been made 2 years ago. Sorry for being somewhat confusing, I'm so grateful for your advice xxx
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @BambiBoozle

Good Morning I do hope that you are having a good start to the day ???

I have found a post from a number of our current members that you may find useful??

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/63605/pip-back-pay-rates

Please let me know if you have any problems with it??
  • BambiBoozle
    Options
    Hi @steve51 , good morning to you too  :) Having a relaxed day so far, thank you! Hope the weekend is going well for you, and it's not too wet where you are. This was so helpful,  thanks Steve. I think I'm going to appeal, it's a point of principle. When I originally applied for PIP, I missed out on the enhanced rate by 1 point, and I really should have appealed it then, but I was scared. Have to bite the bullet this time, if only to prove I'm not a complete coward! Thanks again xxx
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BambiBoozle - I'm sorry to read about your health condition, & the impact this has had. There's some info here which I hope may clarify. Please see: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/problems-with-benefits-and-tax-credits/challenging-a-benefit-decision/challenging-a-dwp-benefit-decision-on-or-after-28-october-2013/you-want-to-change-your-dwp-benefit-decision-because-your-circumstances-have-changed/
    From the above, 'It’s important to tell the DWP about a change of circumstances as soon as you can or you may lose out on extra benefit if you’re entitled to it. You will only be paid from the date of the change if you tell the DWP within one month.'
    If you did inform them in writing within one month, then an option might be to get some local advice, see: https://advicelocal.uk/   to get help with this.

• steve51
    Options
    Hi @BambiBoozle

Thanks, I do hope that you are having a good day?

Yes it’s going very dark here so it won’t be long before it rains.

How’s the weather with you????

Yes you need to appeal if you think that would help.

We have got some good info on “pip”

I can help you with anything that you need.

@steve51
  • BambiBoozle
    Options
    Hi @chiarieds @steve51,  thank you both so very much for your support,  I really  appreciate it  :) It's more like October than July, here in Glasgow- typically glorious Scottish summer! Hope you're both well, have a lovely Sunday xxx
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @BambiBoozle

You are very very welcome ??

@steve51
  • BambiBoozle
    Options
    Hi @Username_removed , thanks for this info, will definitely take some advice before putting myself through any further appeal. Take care xxx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.