Wheelchair advice! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair advice!

3Mamabear
3Mamabear Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Good Evening
Just before lockdown my little boy was prescribed a self propelled wheelchair. He doesn't need it indoors but he does get tired quite easily out and about and has outgrown his buggy hence the need. Anyway, 3 long months later, today we took delivery of his shiny new chair! Due to covid-19 they are doing video calls to ensure it 'fits' correctly, ours is Monday. Obviously my little boy was very excited and couldnt wait to try it out. But he had to almost climb up and into it. Should it be that high? I'm sure the one he sat in at the initial appointment he could touch the floor with his feet. I'm sure it won't be too troublesome to adjust and I can see it is possible. Just wanted other's opinions :) 

Comments

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @3Mamabear
                                How are you? I'm sorry to hear that the wheelchair for your son appears to be to high, when you are on your video call on Monday maybe explain the situation and hopefully they will be able to advise you as to whether it needs adjusting or the reasons why it is high. I know that when I have had wheelchair assessments they usually recommended that your feet are touching the floor as you get into the wheelchair for safety. I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help and I hope I have understood the situation correctly. Please do let us know how you get on. Thank you. 
  • 3Mamabear
    Ahh thank you for your reply @WestHam06! I thought as much. It's ok, we have a spanner at the ready :) 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @3Mamabear, how did the video call fitting go?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • WestHam06
    Hi @3Mamabear
                                How did the video call go? I hope you were able to resolve the height. Thank you. 
  • 3Mamabear
    Hi, it went ok. It should've been set 2 inches lower, which doesn't sound a lot but to a little person is. Should've also had some spoke guards on it. But they are sending out the repair guys to adjust it tomorrow so all will be sorted soon. 
    Thanks for your concern. Will let you know how we get on. :smiley:
  • Adrian_Scope
    Fingers crossed @3Mamabear. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 3Mamabear
    All sorted. Felt a bit weird having the bloke outside on the doorstep and not able to offer refreshments or anything. But it's all sorted now and my little boy can now get in and out without climbing. Have to get him used to steering it now :smiley:
  • Adrian_Scope
    How is he getting on with the steering @3Mamabear? I hope he hasn't run over too many toes!  :D
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 3Mamabear
    Unfortunately I'm working this part of the week so we've not been able to get out so it's mostly the door frames that have taken a battering! But hopefully this weekend we'll get to go to the park and he can have a go! Now on the hunt for stickers to personalise his spoke guards :smile:
  • WestHam06
    Hi @3Mamabear
                                I am pleased to hear that it is all sorted and I hope you all have a great weekend trying it out and finding stickers to make it personal :) Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Hi @3Mamabear
                               How are you? How is your son finding his new wheelchair? I hope that it is helping to manage his tiredness levels. Thank you. 
  • 3Mamabear
    Hi @WestHam06
    We've only been out a couple of times. He tends to veer off to the left. I'm sure with more practice he'll be ok. The first time we went out he did get a bit frustrated and upset. We'll just keep encouraging and praising him. 
    Thank you for thinking of him :) 
  • WestHam06
    Hi @3Mamabear
                                No problem, please do continue to let us know how he is getting on. It does take time to get used too, I always found it frustrating in the beginning but it will come in time, I'm sure he is doing a fantastic job and with your support and encouragement soon there will be no stopping him :) Best wishes and thank you.  
  • WestHam06
    Hi @3Mamabear
                                 How are you? Please may I ask, how is your son getting on with his new wheelchair? Hope everything is going well. Thank you. 
  • 3Mamabear
    Hey @WestHam06 still haven't been out too much. But we went to a 'hello' session at his school (joining reception) and was showing his friends and teachers the stickers we put on the guards. Still a way go go to get the hang of steering correctly but he is persistent and keeps trying :) v proud of him! 
  • WestHam06
    Hi @3Mamabear
                                I'm pleased to hear that you were able to attend a 'hello' session in preparation for September and he was keen to show his friends and teachers the stickers for the guards. It is also wonderful to hear he is persisting and showing a fantastic attitude, he will be sure to go very far :) Please continue to let us know how things are going, sending best wishes. Thank you. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Really glad to hear it's going well @3Mamabear! :)
    Scope

Brightness