Dear carers, we really appreciate you! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dear carers, we really appreciate you!

Options
Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2020 in Coffee lounge
Today is the start of Glad to Care Awareness Week. However, I have a feeling this year is more important than ever.

Coronavirus has left many carers with little or no support. I know this cannot have been easy and you deserve to be recognised for all your hard work.

The back of a man and a woman sat down The woman is resting her head on the mans shoulder

We'd like to introduce you to the new annual event, #GladtoCare Awareness Week, which will be taking place from the 6th to 12th July 2020, celebrating the wonderful efforts of those working in the care industry.

Whether you work in the industry yourself, or you're looking for care for a family member, we invite you to register to take part in our week-long event, highlighting the incredible happenings within the industry and promoting the positives of care to all.

Have you been a carer throughout the pandemic? Has your care changed? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have a support worker but she hasn’t been able to visit me for quite a while now. She phones instead, which is okay but she was supposed to help me walk more and accompany me. Perhaps she might do that again soon, I hope so. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @leeCal, I'm glad they have been able to stay in touch. Like you said, I hope they can physically support you soon!
    Scope

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @Chloe_Scope

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
                                   Thank you for sharing this with us. It is so important that we celebrate and recognise the hard work and dedication that carers, both paid and non-paid, do.  They are a lifeline for many people and I think recent events have only highlighted this more. Thank you to all carers. Thank you. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My number 1 carer is my hubby. It`s been a challenging 22 years since I became disabled with MS. We`ve had a few words and difficult moments, but he has stood by me throughout.
    I have had a lovely carer called Bev, help look after me for 9 years. She is my best friend.

In those 9 years I have had 3 care agencies, which have not worked out so well, but I now have another girl helping me, who is a dream...but she is off to uni in September. So I`ll be searching again!

I need care 24/7 and am lucky to have found these people.
  • lamarie12
    lamarie12 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi new to this so bare with me ,I am recovering from breast cancer ,cancer free ,my mum who is 81 years old has never had a Carer ,she has a few illness and old age as well ,I’ve been looking after her since all the Covid 19 started ,she doesn’t get any extra benefit ( which I think she should),my eldest daughter is a front line worker ,my middle daughter has 2 children and had a stroke was in the hospital for about 16 weeks so been helping her partner who works ,full time with the kids since then she’s home now ,my husband has depression I’m his Carer ,I need help but don’t know who to ask ,
  • davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you all for the pleasure of rejoining the community and meeting on coffee lounge. The importance of supporting carers, Many carers and those they care for are isolated fro. society and health services with financial hardships and no access to credit or savings. We work for a more inclusive society and increase carers rights 
  • christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
    Options
    I am my own carer. When I was researching my options I decided to not use a care company but just pay for my own equipment instead. So I look after myself at home with equipment which is provided by a medical supply company. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    lamarie12 said:
    Hi new to this so bare with me ,I am recovering from breast cancer ,cancer free ,my mum who is 81 years old has never had a Carer ,she has a few illness and old age as well ,I’ve been looking after her since all the Covid 19 started ,she doesn’t get any extra benefit ( which I think she should),my eldest daughter is a front line worker ,my middle daughter has 2 children and had a stroke was in the hospital for about 16 weeks so been helping her partner who works ,full time with the kids since then she’s home now ,my husband has depression I’m his Carer ,I need help but don’t know who to ask ,

Hello. I am so sorry to hear of you and your family`s problems.
    Social services would be the people to ask for help. They`ll do a care assessment for your daughter and yourself.

Pollyxx

Brightness