PIP assessment - if it goes badly what are my next steps? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment - if it goes badly what are my next steps?

darceyD9
darceyD9 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My boyfriend had his assessment on 17th June after 7 months waiting after He was grilled for 1 hour and 45 minutes now my brain is fried from his shouting abuse at the wall that the whole process was to take the p..s out of him he suffers with E.U.P.D. And all sorts of other mental health problems which is to long to list he was sexually abused as a child by the people who were meant to care for him and his drunken dad use to physically assault him when he went home which was daily and this went on for many years I have to live with the by product of this which believe me isn’t easy at all I need help with all this what I’m asking is what happens if they go the other way what are my next steps please

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @darceyD9

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

I will forward your post onto my good friend here at Scope.

He will be able to offer you some help/advice.

Hi @Adrian_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this post ?????

@steve51

• darceyD9
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @darceyD9 Welcome to the community, you didn't state what the assessment was for ?

If it was PIP or WCA either way the process is the same, if the decision isn't what he thinks is right then he can put n a mandatory reconsideration and he has 1 month from date of decision to do this. This will all be detailed in his letter.

Most MR decisions remain the same especially if no different information is given. If the MR fails then it would be an appeal tribunal

I would wait and see what the outcome is and then we can give more specific advise
  • darceyD9
    Pip assessment and okay will keep you posted 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @darceyD9 - Welcome to the community. I'm very sorry for the distress his PIP assessment has caused you both, & have some personal understanding as to what you're going through; it certainly isn't easy. Does he have any help/therapy for his mental health, & do you get any support?
    May he look at Dialectic Behaviour Therapy, which may be a helpful as far as his EUPD goes? There is also some info that his EUPD/BPD may be due to complex PTSD. Please see: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/complex-ptsd/

• darceyD9
    He is on 450 mg of seroquil (quitiapin) a day he has rheumatoid arthritis to the point he can’t move most days as for help and support he was assessed by thinkaction who said that they could only offer 8 weeks help and they feared that would only make him worse so they couldn’t help then had to go to mental health clinic but lockdown happened and they referred him back to doctors but the thread you posted seems to be more like what he suffers from thank you I will speak to doctor 
  • darceyD9
    Just an update the report went to Audit the DWP’s received it Wednesday 30th June decision made 2nd of July 0 points told on phone earlier requested report said I want mr must wait for decision letter **** are they doing to people 
  • darceyD9
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    With the MR focus on where he didn't score points but you think he should have and why, keep in mind that 17% of MR's succeed. If MR fails then it's appeal time, try and get help with that from CAB or welfare rights if possible.
    Good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Ho again 

Sorry to hear the outcome as advised before once you get decision letter you have 1 month to do MR details how will be in decision letter

Go through report and for each descriptor you think should have scored more give reason why giving real examples of what happens when he tries to do task 

If you say same as in assessment you will likely get same result and only approx 16% of MR are successful

Next stage is tribunal 
  • dawny63
    dawny63 Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Sounds familiar.  Husband got 0 points after telephone  assesment.  Osteoarthritis  in knee and  both  hips.  Mr started. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    It has to be said that telephone assessments overall favour the claimant v face2face assessments.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• darceyD9
    Not in this case @woodbine and in a lot of others that I have read about 
  • darceyD9
    Thanks for replying people it will go to tribunal if needs be it’s not nice to be called a liar it’s bad enough seeming to beg but it will go all the way
    peace 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,282 Pioneering
    What the I was reading this I cant believe they awarded your partner with 0 points makes me nervous for my Telephone appointment now Im on quatiapine and sertraline and quatiapine does effect your muscles along with the other side affects where do these people get there points from ? I have heard of people not being able to walk and gettting 0 points its really stressful for you both I hope it gets sorted asap 
  • darceyD9
    @cupcake88 thank you also decision is meant to take 6-8 weeks if you’re lucky. 2 days it took and the man on the phone said you scored 0 points so you won’t get it is there anything else I can help you with heartless but all down to this forum I’ve got a lot of good advice so welfare rights, mind, and his probation officer who knows he cannot be near people he doesn’t know so cannot go anywhere alone through what can happen and him being locked up so appealing we are to treat someone this way is disgusting hope you have better luck
  • cupcake88
    How could he have scored no points that is so wrong I’m so sorry you have to go threw this . I’m very glad I joined this forum but it’s also sad to see how many people go threw all the same stuff I have . It’s really a absolute joke . 

I mean iam very lucky my partner takes good care of me he pays all our bills so I don’t have to worry he makes just bout enough to support us both and yet I’m seriously ill and all I can get is pip which is effort to get . 

It’s really unfair that people have to go threw this mess about just to get what your owed . I really hope you get it . 

I’m guessing you can appeal but of course that’s very time consuming and stressful . 

• darceyD9
    I have to wait for the report to see but if you can talk on the phone I suppose there can’t be anything wrong with you but if you can’t talk on the phone then you can’t have assessment therefore no points rock and hard place also if you have some sort of idea about your illnesses then you can overcome them if only that were true 
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    woodbine said:
    It has to be said that telephone assessments overall favour the claimant v face2face assessments.
    I don't think they do at all.
    Over the phone they don't see poor eye contact, trembling and sweating that might be present face to face, and I imagine mental health difficulties are very hard to gauge over the phone, especially when many would be more relaxed on the phone and in the comfort of their home "safe" environment.
    Likewise, with physical conditions - they can't see someone shifting position because of pain, using furniture to help them stand, have no physical exercises to base an opinion on etc.
    So much is lost over the phone. .
  • cupcake88
    Yeh I have heard the same they turn your emotions against you my friend got marked down in points because she was holding her mums hand . I think phone would be better even tho it still makes me nervous . I haven’t heard from them yet been waiting since Feb hope they haven’t forgot me 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.