My last job — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My last job

Awesomelorenzo
Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
At my last job, the owner really didn't understand much at all.
I had two panic attacks there and she did not get it at all. The first time, I wasn't well(Cold, couldn't talk) And I had to be there all day(7-6)
I told my manager that I wasn't well and she dismissed me. By this point I was feeling really **** and I asked if she could get agency in so I could go home. She dismissed me again, which resulted in a humiliating panic attack.
So she agreed to phone the owner to see if she could get an agency and all that. I went home.

Next day, I was fine. I was only in for a bit anyway and the owner took me aside and started interogatting me about what happened. I told her it was a panic attack and she bascially asked, "What is that?" So I explained it to her and she just stared at me like I was making it up. (Maybe Indians don't have panic attacks, I don't know)
She then went on to tell me that I need medicine for it(It had happened once in like 4 months.) And to fill in an illness form. She never gave me this form.  Also she kept going, "Did anyone see you?" She said this about 5 times. And I said No. Even if a parent had seen me crying, they would've probably cared more than her. She told the other person who I was with, who actually understood it more than the owner did.

Fast forward a few months, we were closing down and I was really stressed. I had a panic attack and my really nice manager told me to go to the doctors to check I was okay. The doctor knew me and basically said I was okay. I went back to the nursery and my manager told me that the owner said I should take my medicine. Like I said, I'm not medicated.

I told her I didn't have any and there was a massive discussion in the kitchen about me. In short I stayed there all day and we had a laugh about it at the end. The owner seriously din't get how much stress we were all under.

Comments

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there are you still at your job ? I suffer with anxiety and other mental illnesses so I know panic attacks really well . I’m glad that you had some understanding work colleagues. How do you get on now at work ? My last employer was far from
    understanding so I know how that feels . 
  • Awesomelorenzo
    No I'm not there anymore. I don't have a job at the moment, but I hope they're nicer.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Hi @Awesomelorenzo
    I was going to bed one night, actually sitting on my bed totally unstressed when suddenly my heart raced and pounded in my head! I couldn’t see briefly and couldn’t breathe so I rushed downstairs p, row open the windows and door and gulped down air as fast as I could. By and by it passed but I thought I’d had a heart attack. It was seriously scary. We called an ambulance and they took my vitals and told me that it sounded as though I’d had a panic attack. I was exhausted and was worried about going to bed incase it happened again or I died in my sleep or something but they assured me it would be ok.

does it sound to you as though I had a panic attack? I’ve never had another and I know that that one was caused by a mixture of meds I was just put on at the time. I’ve asked quite a few professionals and they always seem to give me a slightly odd look but agree it was probably a panic attack...maybe.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    I mean I hope you do find some where understanding I have had bad luck but doesn’t mean that every place isn’t nice . I feel your pain and I hope your next job is much better . 
  • Awesomelorenzo
    Leecal
    I couldn't say. Every one is different.

Brightness