PIP - Back Payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP - Back Payments

Kev_G
Kev_G Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Dear all,

Does anyone know if there are written rules regarding back payments?

In my case, I had standard rate and following lots of fractures I notified DWP, completed a new 'How your disability affects you form', went through another assessment and the rate was changed to enhanced rate.  The change was not backdated. Does anyone know the actual rule?

TIA Kev.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kev_G

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got some good info on PIP.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you??????

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, it will only be backdated to when the new decision was made, as you already had an award in place and then notified of a change it is only the change that has given the enhanced rate.

You only get backdated money if you appealed and won the original decision
  • Kev_G
    Hi all. This is a bit of a minefield. It seems the terminology is particularly important. I phoned DWP and they originally told me that I had a review. Under this circumstance there is no back payment as the effective date is the date of the decision. However, I had actually informed them of a change of circumstance that had lasted at least 3 months. I had to submit a new claim, this IS NOT the same as a review. I was told that a mistake had been made and it should have been backdated to the original phone call. I was put through to a claim manager who confirmed the rule and in fairness was very apologetic and said they will get it fixed today and it wasn't he would personally fix it.

Quite important for people to know.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing with us and yes a lot if terminology that means different things 
  • steve51
    Hi @Kev_G

Sorry to hear about this.

I will forward your post onto our senior members to offer you some much needed help.

Hi @Adrian_Scope
    @Chloe_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this pip post????

Many thanks.

@steve51
  • Kev_G
    Thanks @steve51 - Its sorted. Although others need to know too! 4 months that's a lot of money to have potentially missed out on.
  • steve51
    Hi @Kev_G

No probs my friend.

Yes please please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help you with.

@steve51
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    If an ongoing award is amended either due to review or change of circumstances then back pay will be happen.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    If an ongoing award is amended either due to review or change of circumstances then back pay will be happen.

If it's a review then you won't receive backdated money. A change of circumstances will, providing you've had the worsening of conditions for at least 3 months. In this case here, Kev has had his claim backdated, which is correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456 good to have you back 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    @poppy123456 good to have you back 

Thank you very much! :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.