ESA and holiday payment from work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and holiday payment from work

teenie01
teenie01 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello looking advice I had been on maternity pay before commencing ESA support group, I have holiday entitlement leave from my work, if I do go back they are only allowing me to do permitted work for 2 months and then must return to my original contract, can they enforce this ? If I use my holidays to reduce my working week does it affect ESA. 

Comments

• serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Hi @teenie01

i wanted to say welcome to you...
    my apologies as I don’t know the answers to your question, I hope someone comes along soon that does ..
    if they don’t, there is a site called benefits and work, I have found helpful with benefit queries in the past...part of the use of the site is free and provides lots of information on benefits, I guess the down side is you have to find the parts you require to help you ..
    heres the link anyway https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

all good wishes to you 
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, with regards to your ESA I am not sure it depends if it is income related or contribution based (I think) I willtag in someone who can help 

@Adrian_Scope

In regards to your other question you have a right to request flexible working and this could include a reduction i9n your hours due to parental responsibility. The company have to look at your request and if they are not able to accommodate they have to give you a reason why

Hope this helps
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    You can do permitted work while claiming ESA BUT you must not earn more than £140 per week and you must work less than 16 hours per week. If you work and earn more than this then you won't be entitled to ESA for any of those weeks and your ESA will end. You must also fill out a form from DWP when doing permitted work. Also be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be reassessed early and it could go against you when the decision is made.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @teenie01.
    Just to add to Poppy's advice, if you aren't happy or don't feel able to return to your original contract, it would be worth speaking to ACAS for employment advice on what your options are. Would your GP be willing to write a fit note recommending reduced hours for the foreseeable future?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.