Theme Park Rules — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Theme Park Rules

Summa
Summa Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Before I retired I supported children with physical and learning difficulties in a mainstream school. I feel strongly about inclusion and access for everyone.
My question is regarding a local theme Park. Recently a 6 year old physically disabled child with learning difficulties was not allowed to go on the rides because he was unable to tolerate wearing a mask. The park said they were following Government guidelines but that is not true. This young lad would have been exempt from having to wear a mask.
Does anyone know if the Park can decide it's own rules? I am sure they can't but would like to know before I contact them to complain.
Many thanks in advance
Summa

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Summa and welcome to scope, thats a good question but I fear the answer is yes they probably can decide it's own rules, but there would be nothing to stop you pointing out to them if the rules make no sense.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,
    I agree that yes they can use their own rules. Although having said that do think it's rather harsh making a 6 year physically disabled child wear a mask and i would most definitely be making a complaint, if it was me.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Yes, they can define their own rules, mostly for the sake of safety. Height and age restrictions are most common.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    HI With all the merlin parks I have a pass that I had to get my doctor to write a letter which I emailed over to them basically it means that if your disabled ypu dont have to que you get given a special time to go on rides and special entrances and exits you can apply via the alton towers website and this willl be the same for all merlin theme parks I think most theme parks do offer this and special exceptions hope this helps . 
  • Summa
    Summa Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you, that is really helpful, I'll pass the information on...

Brightness