Advice about PIP appeals — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice about PIP appeals

laumacc
laumacc Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
edited July 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am due to have a pip appeal through the court soon, and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or websites that could help me with that. I’m very anxious about it, and I know the next couple of weeks will be awful for my mental health with the wait. I have chronic pancreatitis along with mental health problems. Thankyou

Comments

• Summery
    Summery Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I've very recently had mine  and won via telephone be as honest as you can and try and awnser the questions as if it's your worst day not your best if that makes sense so they get a idea of what it's like for you on your bad days this will help! 
  • laumacc
    Thankyou for your reply, I will remember this. It’s just hard because when at the hone assessment they twisted this to make it seem I have more better days, and that I was “able to scratch my ankle” there for deducting points, there were so many lies on the assessment, I’m scared I won’t remember how much of it to correct! 
  • Summery
    Summery Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Honestly scrap whatever they have said they said in my assessment 'I didn't look anxious' which I found quite offensive as I have suffered with anxiety depression and ptsd for many years and mental health can't always be seen on the surface go through the points and write a note on how each thing effects YOU they was much much nicer to me at the hearing and a lot more considerate at not just physical needs but mental also. They will basically got through the points with you asking you if you struggle with certain day to day things
  • laumacc
    Thankyou. I will sort out the paperwork and start getting some notes together
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @laumacc

Welcome it’s great to meet you today ?

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope?

We have got some good info/advice here.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/challenging-PIP-or-other-benefits-decisions/

Please please let me know if you need any further help/advice.

@steve51
  • laumacc
  • steve51
    Hi @laumacc

That’s my Pleasure.

@steve51
  • laumacc
    This forum is excellent and just what I was looking for, I appreciate the help, and hopefully I’ll have some good news in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed)
  • steve51
    Hi @laumacc

Yes that would be great news??

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @laumacc - & welcome to the community. I'm very sorry to read about the difficulties you're facing. The tribunal are independent of the DWP, & are just interested in how your disabilities affect your daily living, &/mobility. Please forget your assessment, as they will not concentrate on this.
    @Summery has given some good advice, however you should not answer as if it's your worst day. However kindly meant, as I'm sure this was, this is the worst possible advice that is unfortunately given in online forums. You should say exactly how your disability affects you on the majority of days if you have a condition that fluctuates.
    If you haven't already done so, please look through this list of 'descriptors' or activities. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    PIP is literally about how your disability affects you. If you can, try & give a couple of examples with this for each descriptor that applied at the time of your assessment. Say why it was difficult; what happened afterward; could you do the activity as often as you'd like compared to someone who doesn't have your problems; does it take you longer; do you need prompting/assistance; does it cause pain or overwhelming distress, etc?
    Just concentrate on how your disabilities affect you.... this is what the tribunal needs to hear. Please do make notes on any specific problems with an activity you need to get across. Be completely honest; take your time in answering, & ask for a question to be repeated if necessary.
    Easier said than done, but try not to be anxious. You will be OK, & you can do this, & you have people here supporting you. My best wishes, & please do let us all know how you get on. :)

• laumacc
    Thankyou very much for that, that’s really helpful and I will read through it all again on the day to help me aswel as have it to hand :)
  • laumacc
    Hi, I had my tribunal call at 10am. It was quite uncomfortable, I felt the doctors questions relating to the dwp questionnaire very silly really, as my conditions are pancreatitis and mental health they don’t relate to me, and we’re hard to explain my answers. I did the best I could with the help of my mum and am now waiting for the letter to be sent with their decision. I have no idea how it went 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @laumacc Im sorry to hear you struggled at your tribunal, hopefully the outcome will be better than you expect. It shouldn't be too long till you get the decision and you can then take it from there, please keep us updated
  • laumacc
    Thankyou, Does anyone know if you can ring and check at the court? Instead of waiting for the letter?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouildnt advise ringing the court due to reduced resources, the panel will dictate the decision to the clerk whoi will then prepare the letter and get it signed before sending it out and also inform DWP.

Some people are getting them pretty quick but others are waiting a few weeks
  • laumacc
  • laumacc
    Hi all. So I had a missed call at 16.50 today from dwp asking to ring them back, which I did but was cut off at 17.55 as I presume they closed. I’d been just on hold and didn’t speak to anyone. Also had a text to say to contact them before the end of 4th aug, which is tomorrow. Any idea what it could be? As now I’m worried again. Thankyou 
  • laumacc
    Tribunal decision was decided At enhanced for both on the 15th july
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Potentially it could be to confirm bank details and to ask if you've been into hospital anytime in the past. Although we could really only guess what they want and you will of course need to ring them again tomorrow morning when they open.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • laumacc
    I will do poppy, thankyou

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.