ESA and DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and DLA

Katey
Katey Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I RECIEVE esa and dla. I currently live alone. If my daughter moved back in who she has a full time job. How much would I loose and would I have to pay full rent. Scotland thankyou

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Katey

Welcome to our online community/family.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I will forward your post onto a good friend of mine who will be able to help you.

Hi @poppy123456

Can you please help me with this post!!!!!!

Many thanks.

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

If you're claiming the care part of DLA then your housing benefit won't be affected by non dependant deductions.

If you're currently claiming the severe disability premium in with your ESA then you will lose this if your daughter doesn't claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. SDP is £66.95 per week.

You will also lose your single person discount for your council tax if your daughter moves in with you.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Hi @Katey

wqnted to say welcome ?
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • Katey
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Katey and welcome to the community. :)

I see @poppy123456 has already given a detailed response to your query. If you have any other questions or there's anything you're unsure of, please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Katey
    Hi Thankyou. I have ptsd, severe depression and bpd. My daughter works full time. I RECIEVE esa and pip. High rate. I'm on my own since my husband committed suicide. I don't know how much I will loose if she moves in. I'm at a lose. Thankyou
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Katey and welcome to the community, glad you have joined us and I am really sorry to hear of your loss.

I hope your  daughter moving in will be a great support to you. Poppy has given you some information above about what benefits you may lose and I sure she will advise further 

She may need a bot more information in order to be more specific
  • Katey
    She works full time but would she be able to claim carers allowance for me to make up the lose of my severe disability allowance. I have got pip for a further 5 years. Thankyou
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

It would depend on how much she cares for you it has to be 35 hours or more a week and also there is a limit on her earnings 

@poppy123456 Will be able to give you the exact details, I have tagged her in so she will respond when she is on 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Katey. Unfortunately as she's working fulltime she won't be able to claim Carer's Allowance for looking after you as she will be above the earnings threshold.

Are you receiving SDP in with your ESA? This is the only thing that should change with yout benefits. If you don't know, we could try and help work it out if you tell us how much ESA you're receiving each fortnight. I hope that helps. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.