What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


KateyKatey Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I RECIEVE esa and dla. I currently live alone. If my daughter moved back in who she has a full time job. How much would I loose and would I have to pay full rent. Scotland thankyou


  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Katey

    Welcome to our online community/family.

    I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

    I will forward your post onto a good friend of mine who will be able to help you.

     Hi @poppy123456

    Can you please help me with this post!!!!!!

    Many thanks.

  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    If you're claiming the care part of DLA then your housing benefit won't be affected by non dependant deductions.

    If you're currently claiming the severe disability premium in with your ESA then you will lose this if your daughter doesn't claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. SDP is £66.95 per week.

    You will also lose your single person discount for your council tax if your daughter moves in with you.

    Hope this helps.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • serenity2serenity2 Member Posts: 206 Pioneering
    Hi @Katey

    wqnted to say welcome 😊
    Best Wishes
  • KateyKatey Member Posts: 4 Listener
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,998

    Scope community team

    Hello @Katey and welcome to the community. :)

    I see @poppy123456 has already given a detailed response to your query. If you have any other questions or there's anything you're unsure of, please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
  • KateyKatey Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Thankyou. I have ptsd, severe depression and bpd. My daughter works full time. I RECIEVE esa and pip. High rate. I'm on my own since my husband committed suicide. I don't know how much I will loose if she moves in. I'm at a lose. Thankyou
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,174 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Katey and welcome to the community, glad you have joined us and I am really sorry to hear of your loss.

    I hope your  daughter moving in will be a great support to you. Poppy has given you some information above about what benefits you may lose and I sure she will advise further 

    She may need a bot more information in order to be more specific
  • KateyKatey Member Posts: 4 Listener
    She works full time but would she be able to claim carers allowance for me to make up the lose of my severe disability allowance. I have got pip for a further 5 years. Thankyou
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,174 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

    It would depend on how much she cares for you it has to be 35 hours or more a week and also there is a limit on her earnings 

    @poppy123456 Will be able to give you the exact details, I have tagged her in so she will respond when she is on 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,998

    Scope community team

    Hi @Katey. Unfortunately as she's working fulltime she won't be able to claim Carer's Allowance for looking after you as she will be above the earnings threshold.

    Are you receiving SDP in with your ESA? This is the only thing that should change with yout benefits. If you don't know, we could try and help work it out if you tell us how much ESA you're receiving each fortnight. I hope that helps. 
    Community Manager
Sign in or join us to comment.