Are you a writer? Share your work with us! - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you a writer? Share your work with us!

Comments

• davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    I would like to share with the group that I have a disability but just had my first book accepted for publication. Having  disabilities is no barrier and you have skills sane as everyone 
  • LP004
    LP004 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    @davegregson40 Well done.  Can you let me know about the publisher, please?  What genres do they publish?  I have 3 short stories, two are children's stories, one is a short story.  I am editing a novel I wrote some time ago. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    It's very moving @sazza. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Huge congratulations @davegregson40. Can I ask what the book's about?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • davegregson40
    Dear LP004
    Yes certainly, the childrens stories were first published in the free magazine Short Kids stories just to test the water and I am now working with Pegasus Publishers 
  • JaneCambs
    JaneCambs Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    edited July 2020
    Hello all, it’s lovely to read how many people are exercising their creativity. I will chance sharing something I wrote. Also the picture I did for the piece so will add that too. I wrote and drew the image after my dad died. I found people got uncomfortable when I brought up his death because he took his life and it’s not a subject people want to hear. But I do think it is something needed to be talked about as so many people find themselves struggling and others find them selves left behind. I lost my dad when I was younger back in 2003. It took me over fifteen years to finally do something to express that loss. Writing this and drawing the image was cathartic. I am sorry if it offends. He was always my inspiration and a writer himself 

The Star That Chose To Fall 

You were my brightest star
    A vibrant blaze of lustrous energy in a sea of flickering lights 
    I was captured by your gaze 
    Your benevolent nature kept me safe from the shadows and I trusted you to guide me through many of life’s journeys 

I felt safe 
    you were home to me 

As my own light began to grow, 
    you beamed proudly over me. 
    I was climbing the ladder to the sea of stars, 
    to one day stand by your side, 
    and I hoped I could shine as brightly as you 

For you were my inspiration 
    The one star above all others I looked up to 
    To me you were an everlasting, unbreakable force. 
    My strength and mentor in life

I did not notice your vulnerability. Focused only on your wisdom and strength,                                             I hadn’t caught sight of your flickering lights. 
    A star struggling from within to keep their light burning at its brightest 
    I wasn’t prepared for your light to go out 

On the night you chose to fall from the sky, my world came crashing down
    I felt only darkness surround me.   My sky would never look the same again,
    now you had extinguished your own flame.  

Your final words haunted me as I questioned myself and wondered how I hadn’t seen the signs. 

How had I not noticed those little flickers of self doubt? I felt abandoned in a world that no longer made sense to me

Pain set in and my heart was eclipsed with fear, anger and guilt.    A medley of emotions surfaced and for some time my own light faded to a dull desolate tone

I felt alone

But with time comes much contemplation. And I did my best to forgive myself for failing you

Today I stand with my dreams firmly held in my hands. With the intention and same vigour you once showed me. I clasp my dreams and think of you

For you always believed in my dreams. And I still believe in you 

For my Dad David 31/05/1948 - 31/12/2003

• davegregson40
    That's beautifully written and moving, thank you for sharing.
  • davegregson40
    Writers Forum is a good .magazine and online forum. I also know Austin Macauley and Olmpua Publishers are often looking for new work as are the Peoples Friend for light and feel good stories 
  • LP004
    @JaneCambs

Thank you for sharing that poem with us.  It is a beautiful way of describing your relationship with your late Father.

I lost my Mother in 2006.  You are right to say that those who lose loved ones need to talk about them. Once I did that, I felt better.
    I went into deep depression about 18 months after my Mother died.

One thing helped me cope even through my depression is the thought of seeing her again as a healthy young woman again when she, along with millions of others, will be resurrected back to life into a paradise earth.  John 5:28,29

• LP004
    I have written 3 short stories, and am in the process of editing a novel I wrote.
    Could you give me the contact details of the publishers, or magazines, looking for authors, please?
    Thank you
  • LP004
    If I scanned my work to my computer, how can I copy it onto here, please?
  • Tesdl
    Tesdl Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    @JaneCambs thanks for sharing your thoughts about your Dad's passing. I found it so poignant that he made his decision the day before a New Year began. Also felt strongly that you should never feel that your memories or thoughts about his life and death might offend. I'm grateful for your piece and for the opportunity to reflect on why people take that path. I hope he has found peace and glad that you have found peace now too!
  • Lucy411
    Lucy411 Scope Member Posts: 74 Courageous
    JaneCambs said:
    Hello all, it’s lovely to read how many people are exercising their creativity. I will chance sharing something I wrote. Also the picture I did for the piece so will add that too. I wrote and drew the image after my dad died. I found people got uncomfortable when I brought up his death because he took his life and it’s not a subject people want to hear. But I do think it is something needed to be talked about as so many people find themselves struggling and others find them selves left behind. I lost my dad when I was younger back in 2003. It took me over fifteen years to finally do something to express that loss. Writing this and drawing the image was cathartic. I am sorry if it offends. He was always my inspiration and a writer himself 

The Star That Chose To Fall 

You were my brightest star
    A vibrant blaze of lustrous energy in a sea of flickering lights 
    I was captured by your gaze 
    Your benevolent nature kept me safe from the shadows and I trusted you to guide me through many of life’s journeys 

I felt safe 
    you were home to me 

As my own light began to grow, 
    you beamed proudly over me. 
    I was climbing the ladder to the sea of stars, 
    to one day stand by your side, 
    and I hoped I could shine as brightly as you 

For you were my inspiration 
    The one star above all others I looked up to 
    To me you were an everlasting, unbreakable force. 
    My strength and mentor in life

I did not notice your vulnerability. Focused only on your wisdom and strength,                                             I hadn’t caught sight of your flickering lights. 
    A star struggling from within to keep their light burning at its brightest 
    I wasn’t prepared for your light to go out 

On the night you chose to fall from the sky, my world came crashing down
    I felt only darkness surround me.   My sky would never look the same again,
    now you had extinguished your own flame.  

Your final words haunted me as I questioned myself and wondered how I hadn’t seen the signs. 

How had I not noticed those little flickers of self doubt? I felt abandoned in a world that no longer made sense to me

Pain set in and my heart was eclipsed with fear, anger and guilt.    A medley of emotions surfaced and for some time my own light faded to a dull desolate tone

I felt alone

But with time comes much contemplation. And I did my best to forgive myself for failing you

Today I stand with my dreams firmly held in my hands. With the intention and same vigour you once showed me. I clasp my dreams and think of you

For you always believed in my dreams. And I still believe in you 

For my Dad David 31/05/1948 - 31/12/2003

@JaneCambs, this is lovely you should be very proud of this. Thank you for sharing.

• Lucy411
    Lucy411 Scope Member Posts: 74 Courageous
    LP004 said:
    If I scanned my work to my computer, how can I copy it onto here, please?

@LP004, 5th icon from the right and attach it as an image, jpg etc or the one next to it on the left to attach a file.
  • LP004
    @Lucy411 Thank you.  I will scan the story and put it on here in that case>  Hope you all enjoy reading it.
  • davegregson40
    please scan the story. I will send the contact details of the publishers that I have worked with and know are looking for new stories 
  • JaneCambs
    @LP004 So sorry to hear you lost your mum. I am glad you have found comfort through your faith. I hope the story is a success too. Grief is a complicated emotion that I have had to endure too many times. But yes finding peace with my fathers passing was a hard journey. I think had people allowed me to open up more I would of dealt better with it sooner
  • JaneCambs
    @Lucy411 thank you for your kind words. I tend to write as a means to cope 
  • JaneCambs
    @Tesdl thanks so much for your thoughts, it means a lot to get some feedback. I have lost that way three times now and it has given me much thought as to why people do this. It has also caused me to keep to myself more. 11pm New Year’s Eve is when it happened. I wasn’t told until after midnight had passed. I was very much a grump at new year for many years. However I light a star lantern for him and let the new year in with him in my heart every year now
  • Tesdl
    Tesdl Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    @JaneCambs I'm glad you can do that. He clearly gave up on hope when the hope of a New Year was round the corner. I feel we can all learn so much from that. Keep your light shining and speaking your truth! 
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020

My lockdown poem 

Lockdown, has given Jay time to learn my creative of  poetry writing. 

Poetry writing has helped get though lockdown.

My poetry writing has given me a voice through the use of words.

As I hear the  birds  tweeting melodiously 

I was awoken and thought lockdown was a bad dream. 

I hope soon lockdown will be moment for our history books.

As we do not know what normal life will look after lockdown.

I would appreciate to help what scope community if about my poem 

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness