Got my telephone acessment next week please advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Got my telephone acessment next week please advice

cupcake88
cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
Hi every one the time has come when I finally have my pip accessment via telephone I’m very nervous especially had the last few days I haven’t been well at all . I’m worried I’ll make no sense on my telephone interview . I’m really nervous because this is like my only option to have a regular income comming in as that’s all I’m entitled too it’s making me nervous if I do get pip . How long does it take before you start receiving it ? Do you get your back pay straight away ? I’m so nervous any advice would be great . 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you kept a copy of the form you returned then i'd advise you to have a read through that before the phone call. You will need to verify what you wrote in the form as well as any other additional information they ask you. What they ask you will depend on how your conditions affect you.

The phone call can be anywhere from 15 to 90 minutes.

Once the assessment has been completed a report will be written and returned to DWP. If you wait about a week you can ring DWP to request a copy of the report to be sent to you, if you live in the UK. When you receive it you'll be able to look at the PIP descriptors online and compare the recommendations in the report to work out how many points, if any that may have been recommended.

There's no timescales for any decision but in normal times it can be anywhere from 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer. Once the decision's been made, if you're awarded you'll receive backdated money from the date you rang to start your claim (if it's a first time claim and you're not transferring from DLA) Money is usually in your bank between 3-5 days after it's been sent from DWP.

Good luck and i hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cupcake88
    Yeh that’s really helpful thanks . Things have changed since my form I filled out back in feb my health has got Worst since then and my meds have been upped. 

Will they not look at your medical edvidence as well ? I’m just nervous because I have heard of a lot of people getting turned down for silly little things like if there able to answer questions etc ? 
  • poppy123456
    Did you send evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cupcake88
    It my application I sent loads of my care plans ect and from
    other professionals . Are pip payments paid the same date each month for every one ?
  • cupcake88
    And is the money worked out of a weekly basis ? 
  • poppy123456
    It's paid every 4 weeks. If you're successfully awarded the letter will tell you when to expect payments.

• cupcake88
    Also @poppy123456 do you know much about disability premiums is that some thing that will go off my partners income or could I apply for that as well ? 
  • poppy123456
    The disability premiums are only paid with certain other income related benefits. As your partner works then you won't be entitled to any disability premiums if you're successfully awarded PIP.

If your partner claims working tax credits then you maybe entitled to extra money but this will totally depend on what award, if any you have.
  • cupcake88
    So pip is the only thing I can get ? I really hope I get it . What would I do if I don’t will
    they send me a letter explaining how I can appeal I really don’t think I could cope with taking a previous employer to tribunal and a pip tribunal . I really hope I get it I’ll keep you all updated . Do they ask any trick questions or try and purposely mark you down ? 
  • poppy123456
    If you've worked and paid enough NI contributions in tax years April to March 2017 to 2019 then you maybe able to claim New style ESA if you're unable to work. You'll need a fit note from your GP to be able to claim this. If you haven't worked then you won't be able to claim it.

For Universal Credit then it will totally depend on your circumstances, your partner earnings will affect the amount you can claim.

They don't purposely mark you down, lots of people successfully claim PIP without any problems at all but we rarely hear the good stories only the bad ones. If someone has an award they're happy with then they have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story.
  • poppy123456
    Once a decisions been made they'll send you a letter. If you're not successfully awarded then post back here and i'm sure someone will help you further. Try not to think of that now though, i know it's hard but it won't help you.
  • cupcake88
    Hi poppy thanks for that no I’m not entitled to the new style one I didn’t work that year I was very ill it’s a shame it goes by the years I was really ill and not all the years I paid contributions . Because of my partners income I can only get pip . Thank you for your kind words I’ll keep you updated . 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @cupcake88 - You can do this. As well as Poppy's excellent advice, if you haven't read about the activities they look at, & where you might score points, please look at the following link: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    Altho it's about completing a PIP claim form, it might give you some ideas as to where you might score points that you hadn't considered. Perhaps ask your partner to look at it too, as sometimes a person that knows you well can highlight problems you have that you hadn't realised, as you may have them every day/the majority of days, & just try & cope.
    I have read how much you're going through, but one thing at a time (if you can). Make notes of anything you want to get across beforehand with your PIP assessment; take your time in considering the questions, & if you're unsure about any, just ask them to repeat it, or put it another way.
    Now is your chance to say how your daily living is affected, & you should concentrate on that.
    May I add my best wishes too. :)

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cupcake88 You sure are going through a lot at this time but as the others have said deal with them one at a time.

Now is the time to deal with your PIP assessment and also just tackle that first without thinking about an appeal as you may not have to worry about this at all .

It isnt worth thinking about until you have had the decision which will be a few weeks away.

Good luck for your assessment fingers crossed for you
  • cupcake88
    @janer1967 @poppy123456 @chiarieds

i can’t thank you all enough for every thing you have all done to help and thanks to others that have commented . Yeh I have been going threw a lot as well as dealing with mental illness . I have taken some time to do some of my cross stitch and try and take my mind off things .

im one of these people that likes to prepare for the worst so that I’m prepared which I know isn’t positive . Have any of you received your pip first time ? I’m going threw loads at the moment my past emoployers still haven’t responded to my et1 I have a feeling there gonna try and ignore that . I will concentrate on my pip first it’s just nerve racking as I really do need this extra financial help x 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @cupcake Yes I got my PIP first time standard daily and enhanced mobility after a f2f assessment. I then had a review and got enhanced for both from paper based assessment so there are success stories around.

I do have very different disabilities to yourself though, 
  • poppy123456
    Yes i was also awarded first time back in 2013 and awarded standard for both parts, Review was 2 years later and again awarded standard daily living and Enhanced mobility. I have physical disabilities.

My doughter also claims PIP Enhanced for both parts, awarded first time in 2017. Had a review last year and award remained the same with a paper based assessment. My daughter claims because of ASD, learning disability and social anxiety disorder.

I agree with janer, the good stories are out there and we are both proof of that.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @cupcake - Yes, I also got PIP first time when I was transferring from DLA 21 months ago. I got 10 points for each component. I did go for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) as I didn't feel the award accurately reflected my mobility problems. I was awarded 11 & 12 points with the MR so this increased it to an enhanced award for the mobility component. So, I'm another success story. I probably wouldn't have had to go through an MR if I'd joined this community earlier!....just been here 11 months.
    What day is your assessment? Yes, be prepared, but be positive. :)
  • cupcake88
    That’s really good to hear I just need to focus on one thing at a time as you all have advised your all right . My partner will be with me for my telephone call with pip I’ll let you all know how it went , I’m sure I’ll find out from them ASAP hopefully what points I got . Does the person making the assessment decide whether you get pip or not ? Is done purely on points ? 
  • chiarieds
    @cupcake - with your assessment, the Health Care Professional (HCP) you talk to writes up a report, & indicates the points they feel appropriate. This report is then sent to the DWP where a Decision Maker looks at all the evidence. This is your initial claim form, any evidence you've sent, & the HCP's report. They do usually go with the HCP's report however, but not always.
    About a week after your assessment you can ring the DWP on the PIP enquiry line ( 0800 121 4433) & ask for a copy of your assessor's report. You will still have to wait for your actual decision letter, but the report will give an indication of any likely award. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.