Recording of pip assessments suspended — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recording of pip assessments suspended

Options
bristollad
bristollad Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, i have recently filled in my pip renewal form, i put no change to all questions, the assesor rang me and told me i need to go for another assesmnet, i asked her to tell me why she thought i was lying, she told me she thought i was telling the truth so i asked i you think i am being truthful why are you sending me to another session of humiliation, could not answer, i called her a liar.

She then asked me if i would take part in a telephone assessment, i said no as i do not have the facility to record, she threatened to void my claim for non compliance.

I have had over the last 12 years 7 decisions go in my favour at appeal every time, the only way to prevent these guys from lying is to record and threaten them with private prosecution.

So i get a letter from capita saying that a telephone assessment has been booked for next friday, i did not agree to this.

I called the DWP to make a complaint as the only thing they can offer as a reason for another assessment is a contradiction and they said they will look into it.

They also said that because two copies can't be made that i can not make a recording as the assessor will not take part if she knows i am recording, they were also in agreement that another assessment just seems like it could be doing more harm than good.

I am waiting to hear from the DWP this afternoon!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

As this is a renewal then most people would normal have another assessment, which is usually face to face. However, because of Covid19 the face to face assessments have been suspended and instead they are doing  telephone assessments. Paper based assessments will only be completely if there's enough of information to do this.  As they don't have enough then an assessment is needed.

I have to admit justing putting "no change" on your forms wouldn't have helped your claim at all. What would have been better is to fill out the forms with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

I have no idea what will happen if you still refuse the telephone assessment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bristollad
    Options
    That so like a bit of a cynical trap, please tell us if there is any change, if no say no change.

That is what the form says as there was no change i put no change!

I sent them all the evidence from previous claim and as the dwp told me they already have reams(12year worth) that they should be able to make a decision without putting me through the stress of another assessment when the outcome will be the same.

They can not say they are calling me in for another because i am telling the truth, this also implies that the only way to not get put up for assessment is to not tell the truth!

Anyways it is the recording that i am worried about as without the recording they will literally say the opposite of what i tell them!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That so like a bit of a cynical trap, please tell us if there is any change, if no say no change.

I disagree, sorry. Simply stating that there's "no change" then you can almost guarantee another assessment. On the CAB website it advises you to explain in detail, even if there's been no change.

You maybe lucky enough to have an honest HCP, it can and does happen. I've never had a bad HCP and had 3 PIP assessments and 4 work capability assessments.

I'd prefer to concetrate on the assessment, rather than worrying about recording it. Anyway, i wish you good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi i yend to agree with Poppy here you may not have had a change but it is always advisable to put as much detail as possible and treat it like a new claim.

By doing this you can sometimes avoid having to have another assessment which was what happened in my case 

I dont want to sound harsh but it is you applying for the benefit so compliance is the best option, I know they dont always go well and lots of people report inaccuracies and lies from assessors and the system is far from ideal but it is what it is 
  • johnnyy85
    johnnyy85 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Options
    Hi bristollad when does your current award end ? 
  • bristollad
    Options
    It was ment to end in june this year, they sent me a letter saying it was extended to Jan 2021, the day i got the letter informing me was the day they rang to say i needed another assessment.
  • johnnyy85
    johnnyy85 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Options
    Good luck mate in what you do I’m in same boat except I did explain in forms my condition getting worse, my award runs out in August and just received extension till February in the post today 
  • bristollad
    Options
    So ten months later I went to the appeal(remote), they told me that they did not need to hear any evidence from me and my appeal was allowed, twelve points daily living, ten points for mobility and an five year length, was on the phone for less than a minute, very relieved but also very sad it caused a great amount of disruption for the last ten months.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    7 awards in 10 years. Please tell me you took the advice and insisted on an ongoing/10 year award. 
    ..and my appeal was allowed, twelve points daily living, ten points for mobility and an five year length, ..

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bristollad
    Options
    I was caught off guard by them saying i did not need to give any evidence and thus the call was over before I had a chance to ask about the length of time, i did think of appealing if it was two years but five is halfway there and would save me the hassle and uncertainty of another appeal.

If I remember rightly another appeal might run the risk of an all together different outcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.