Isolation ... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Isolation ...

serenity2
serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
I’ve gone into mostly isolation mode again...
I was doing ok,,COVID-19 came along and I’ve got used to isolation again...now we can go out again I’m trying so hard not to isolate, it’s proving Very difficult For many reasons, believe me when I say I’ve tried..it’s times like these someone to walk with or have a coffee with would help..especially someone to walk with...my motivation most days is zero zilch! I have the urge to do a trip somewhere, not far, I used to do that, but I just can’t..a mixture of lack of motivation, not wanting to go alone, and being used to being home, although I’m very restless...
im not comfortable  in groups I’ve tried that,,I did it but it’s exhausting and not a great feeling..it used to be ok..

all the charities I’ve tried for befrienders don’t have the finances to accommodate that anymore, in most cases,
I’ve done quite a bit of research around finding someone to walk with that isn’t in a group, and drawn a blank,,I enjoy walking and could walk for miles ??but I’m losing the motivation to want to do that even..
 :)
Best Wishes
serenity2 

Comments

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Hi @serenity2, ive enjoyed isolation, not supposed to my doctor said, i too dont like groups/small talk in shops etc, i become anxious and sweaty and feel angry and just have to get home anyway i can. i have recently started a bit of yoga from home, it has helped, its free online, also ive got back into reading which takes you away from your thoughts/negativity/despair, its so hard with mental health but myself and others will help as best we can always x ive watched a few old comedys on telly, and sometimes if you write down, just for you to see, what you like/what you can do, not what you cant, getting motivated is so hard, im here and good today after stressful few days of probs, have you had another chat with your doctor?? maybe a new tablet or increased meds  :)
  • Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    serenity2 I would love to get out more myself. I would have to use my scooter but if you are up to it i would love to go out. Let me know.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Perhaps @serenity2 you could try some visualisation occasionally where you visualise a pleasant walk through your favourite kind of landscape, especially if you do it while meditating which I think you said you do from time to time. I know it’s not as good as a real walk but it might help sometimes. 

Also, though I don’t know if it’s appropriate, Mind often have groups of people who meet up regularly locally, it might be that if you contact the local facilitator he/she may know of one or two people who feel as you do. Perhaps? Not sure about that suggestion.

thinking back my mother’s first job was as a lady’s companion! Sounds very grand now but it was quite common in the thirties etc. She simply had to keep an elderly lady company. I wonder... (not saying you’re elderly). Perhaps for a few hours a week a youngster or someone of a similar age to you could simply go for a walk with you, I’m sure you’d find someone quite quickly for such a job.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• serenity2
    Hi @katho31
    @leeCal and @Wini1960

thank you sooo much for the suggestions...@leecal that’s what I’m actually trying to achieve now and most places don’t seem to have the funding for befrienders or companions, I’m still researching it though as it’s a great idea ! No luck so far...so It’s ongoing..thank you for replying, you’ve taken a lot of time for me In the past too and I appreciate it very much !

@katho31 thank you yes yoga is meant to be good for us I keep meaning to try it...hope I can find a way out of this isolation mode ...it’s horrible ...thanks so much for taking time to reply I really appreciate it so much ! 

@Wini1960 what area are you in ? I guess the problem is if someone isn’t nearby but I would Be up for meetng people and thank you for the suggestion..I really appreciate that ..if you weren’t far I’d love a coffee and a scoot along with ya ?

is there a private email system on this forum at all..I can’t find anything..? I know it’s not wise to give details out where everyone can see but a private mail could help 

thanks all of you...I just needed to write it down How I felt  and get it out, I was sooooo fed up this morning ..
    I appreciate you all very much ! ???
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • leeCal
    edited July 2020
    @serenity2 under your name top right of the page the second icon in from the left is the message button, just click on it and then ‘new message’ then fill in the recipients name and the message.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @serenity2 I hoe you manage to fund a companion I dont know where to suggest for you to look sorry
  • leeCal
    edited July 2020
    Hi @serenity2 I found this and though it applies to NI I’m wondering if the person mentioned might know of a UK version, worth dropping them a line perhaps?

https://www.communityni.org/event/funding-community-companions-workshop

And perhaps this article has something of value though it may not look it at first glance it’s worth a read.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/lesleygarnerlifeclass/7449908/I-am-60-and-want-to-find-a-companion-but-I-am-celibate.-Where-can-I-find-someone-else-like-me.html

― Dalai Lama XIV

• serenity2
    thanks @leeCal
    i will take a look at those links now 
    and check out those emails 
    your a star ! 
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • serenity2

@janer1967 thank you ? ?
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @serenity2, thank you for sharing this with us. I'm sorry you've been struggling with the transition and a lack of motivation. This isn't a situation we have been in before and your feelings around this are valid. Please do reach out if we can do anything to help. :)
    Scope

• serenity2
    thank you @Chloe_Scope

ive had a hectic day. Not having much luck finding someone who enjoys walking but the research is ongoing ..some days are better than others ..
    thank you for your reply ??
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope today is better @serenity2! :)
    Scope

• serenity2
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope
    im riding the storm ...
    hooe I’m beginning to see the light been a low 24 hours ..I kinda felt it coming ...I guess it’s good when you know and do your best to manage it..
    I was triggered by something and it really made me low...
    I will be fine, just need to distract and move on...

thanks for thinking of me x
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • katho31
    best wishes to you @serenity2 :) xx
  • serenity2
    Thank you @katho31
    YNWA x
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • katho31
    You are welcome @serenity2, enjoy your evening and relax a little  :)B) YNWA xx

Brightness