Universal Credit and tax rebate - how is UC being deducted? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit and tax rebate - how is UC being deducted?

jaq245
jaq245 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi!
I'm currently on UC and waiting for a cheque from HMRC with my tex refund (previous employment).
I know already, that they deduct the money from UC, but how does this exactly happen? Is it deducted automatically or I need to cash my cheque first? Or I need to declare it? What happens if I don't?
Thank you for your help!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

There will be no need to report the tax rebate because DWP will already know you've received it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jaq245
    Hi, thank you for your answer.
    But will they know when I receive a cheque from HMRC or when I cash the cheque?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    They will know you've received it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome

As advised they will only know that you have received it as they do not have access to your bank account other than to make your payments

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with 
  • jaq245
    Okay, thanks a lot for your help :)
     All the best guys <3
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jaq245! I'm glad others have been able to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.