Covid 19 and new style esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Covid 19 and new style esa

Options
dazj020809
dazj020809 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
So I've made a claim for the new style esa, I currently claim pip and universal credit. I have just rang to see where my claim is in terms of progress, they have just informed me that because I am getting uc payments they arent processing my claim yet. They are just concentrating on people that arent getting any payments ( so people not claiming uc ) until covid 19 is over. I have rang before and they told me then that it is being processed as we speak. Has anyone put in a new claim whilst in covid 19 and recieved this problem. They did assure me that it would be back dated so I wouldn't lose any money if I am eligible but I just find it astonishing they arent processing some cases for months to come 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @dazj020809

Good Afternoon & Welcome to our online community/family.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I have got a good friend on here who is very very good when it comes to “Benefits”@poppy123456

Sorry but I have got another “Benefit Inquiry” for you!!!!!!!!!

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us.

I cant comment on your specific case but it is understandable they are concentrating on the claims from people that currently have no income and is the right thing to do.

Hopefully things are getting back to normal and they can start dealing wiht ther back log
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Options
    HI and welcome,

Thanks for the tag @steve51

The advice you've been given doesn't really make any sense. Under normal circumstances a claim for New style ESA can take about 3 weeks. Due to Covid19 this has increased to between 4-6 weeks but they are certainly processing the claims.

However, to claim New style ESA you need ot have paid the correct NI contributions from working in tax years April to March 2017/18 and April to March 2018/19.

There's no financial gain to claiming both New style ESA and UC at the same time because your New style ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement. This means that there may not be any backdated money to pay you but it will depend on how long you've been claiming UC for.

The only advantage to claiming New style ESA is that it pays class 1 NI credits where as UC pays class 3. New style ESA isn't means tested either and UC is.

Hope this helps but if you have anymore questions please do ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @dazj020809! How are you doing today? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.