PIP ends October - no 6 month extension, why? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP ends October - no 6 month extension, why?

Ala
Ala Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hello,
I have a question.  My PIP award ends in October.   In March I was told by PIP-DWP that I should expect 6 months extension.  Yesterday received letter that my awards ends - and I supposed to call the New Claim number. 
Question is:   Would it make sense to call PIP and ask if they would give me the 6 months - or I have no chance with that?
Could anyone advice me?

I'm too unwell to deal with anything in regards to benefits.  They finished me off mentally during previous reassessments.    After that experience I got  a letter from my GP (who just left the surgery) - requesting a paper reassessment in the future. 

Now
Charity which usually helps me is shut due to covid - they doing their best from private homes - so can't assist me with the call.    I do hope they will help me with forms but it takes a month now, for them to even call me back.
Lady, who helps me can't be present during a phone call - her husband surfers from Covid - and I do self - isolate..
In regards to support letters, my GP tells me she doesn't know what to write - I have to tell her what I want in the letter...
I suffer from ME and other issues - my brain just cuts off when I get stressed and anxious.  Talking and breathing the air out tigers tachycardia and I'm in total mess - just not able to make an responsible conversation.   Often when asked questions I answer some nonsense or just agree with the other person... about whatever 

any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    When you got your award was it from tribunal or did you get it just from your initial assessment? 
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    You will hopefully get help on here but I can offer help on the tachycardia , the best thing I found and I had severe bouts is to drink about 4 glasses of ice water straight off , this seems to shock the heart back into normal rhythm and helps you to feel much better. I was given this advice in an Austrian hospital and it worked for me , good luck x
  • Ala
    edited July 2020
    Than you,
    Yes, I went through Tribunal

Regarding tachycardia, it happens while I'm talking.  Often I'm not even aware the heart is racing, I'm just more and more anxious, and  can't focus my mind - so if I will be on the phone to DWP  - it will be difficult for me to do much.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm not sure it's even possible for DWP to extend and award that was given by the Tribunal, which is why you've received the letter to reapply. I'm going to tag someone who i'll guarantee will give you a straight yes or no to this.

@Username_removed I'm unsure on this one, could you advise please? Thank in advance, as always :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ala
  • poppy123456

I note you didn’t request medical advice on your tachycardia and would suggest you ignore any offered as medical advice is rightly prohibited on this forum.

Yes indeed, i would 100% agree with that. We are not medically trained here and can't give any medical advice. Ala should speak to their GP for any medical advice they require.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ala
    Thank you so much for your such deep reply!  
    You've been most helpful!

I need more time. I'll be calling them on Monday.  Hopefully I'll get it!
    I need it.   I am so slow when dealing with any forms.  And my GP still needs time to write me a supporting letter, as all my medical evidence is a bit outdated.   After last tribunal I fell apart completely. I was no longer capable to attend medical appointments without causing severe deterioration.  Well, there is no cure anyway...

I will definitely take it to heart your point about the NO medical advice - makes perfect sense - I'm new here - and got carried away, followed the other person example, despite better judgment..

all the best to you!
  • Ala
    I have a local one - but due to covid their office is closed - they work from home - so they are much slower, too
  • Ala
    Well, I've tried... shame the letter arrived Saturday afternoon...
    Last Friday, I would be given 6 months extension, Monday new rules.  All back to "normal"  no one cares about ill people shielding!   NO EXTENTION
    My Charity told me this morning  - don't worry, you have 3 months to return the form - NOOOO
    back to 1 month deadline too!!

I've been messed up by the PIP telling me I have the 6 months.
  • poppy123456
    Reviews for PIP are back on i believe and they restarted sometime this month. I think the reason why you have been given the extentsion to your award right now because it doesn't actually end until October. As reviews are back on then yes you would receive the form or letter to reapply. Once it gets nearer to the end date of your award, if a decision hasn't been made on your new claim then it could be increased.

You can ask for an extention of time to return your form, they usually have no problems doing that. When filling out the form remember to add as much detail about your conditions as possible and then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Good luck.
  • Ala
    Thank you, I really need lots of luck. After previous reassessment and assessors lies I feel allergic  to all this process.  And feel panicky
    Makes me sick just to think about it.
    I am no longer fit mentally to attend the assessments and face those lairs. 

I do have a letter from my GP asking for paper review but not sure it will be taken into account?
  • poppy123456
    face to face assessments are still suspended and i have no idea when they are likely to start back up again. So at the moment it's telephone assessment or paper based, most people are having telephone assessments. I also beleive the success rate of claims has also increased since face to face assessments have been suspended.
  • Ala
    That's very good news about more positive outcome.
    For the last 4 years every time I go to any doctor I write down all I have to say.
    I am so unwell, I have only few early morning hours when I am reasonably conscious.  As soon I start talking, I struggle with tachycardia which is causing severe anxiety.
    I get dizzy, by brain is deprived of right amount of oxygen, I get panicky - not even comprehending why I struggle with the conversation - then I start saying so much nonsense...
    The doctor gets usually confused...
    total mess
    During assessments, in the end i start to agree to whatever nonsense  the assessor makes up.
    Then I bit myself up for the disaster while awaiting for Tribunals... which becomes a total mental torture for me

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.