Mobility scheme — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility scheme

Options
kidsareus
kidsareus Community member Posts: 28 Listener
Hi can somebody tell me how the mobility scheme works please as I don’t understand it thanks you and what you have to do 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,063 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You need to have either Enhanced mobitlity or High mobility DLA to lease a vehicle through motability and the award must have at least 12 months remaining.

If you're leasing a wheelchair access vehicle (WAV) then you leave it for a minimum of 5 years. If it's anything else then it's a minimum of 3 years.

You exchange your mobility payments for the vehicle and the payments are paid straight to motability for your lease. Some are all the mobility award and some are not quite all of it.

Some you'll need to pay an advance payment before you collect your car and others there's no advance payments. It really depends on what car you want and the spec.

The cost of the vehicle includes breakdown insurance, repairs, servicing, MOT, tyres ETC. Basically, the only thing you have to do is pay for your fuel.

You decide which car you want and visit the dealer for more information and to test drive the vehicle of your chocie.

Lots more information in this link. https://www.motability.co.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kidsareus, please let us know if we can do anything else to help. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kidsareus Welcome to the community, there isnt anything ti add t the advice you have been given other than look at the options and alternatives to the scheme

With the scheme you are only leasing your car so it is never yours and also if you lose your PIP award you lose the car.

It has its advantages though with the full package but you could also use your PIP money to purchase a car privately
  • kidsareus
    kidsareus Community member Posts: 28 Listener
    Options
    Hi janer1967 that’s a good point you have made there thank you 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your welcome also with the scheme there are restrictions about vehicle usage too who can drive it ehrre it us kept and mileage and damage 

I'm not saying it is bad scheme especially if you need adapted car but dont just jump right in look at other options 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.