Debt Management repayment plan — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Debt Management repayment plan

horizons
horizons Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong catagory.My mother has been sent a letter saying that her mother was overpaid a sum amount while she was alive. Becuase she (Her mother) went into hospital and didnt tell DWP. Anyway to cut a long story short. The amount is not huge and My mother wants to set up a re-payment plan with the DWP Debt Management team. Will the DWP Debt Management team want to see bank statments and other documents to set up the re-payment plan? Or will the DWP Debt Management team and My mother just agree on a monthly amount that she can afford. She does get Pension credit, only a few hundred per month. Thanks

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi hope you are well today? How long was she in hospital? does she get SRP plus pension credits? how long was she in hospital?\ difficult to advise on limited information
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community. I am not too sure about how the DWP debt management works but other debt management just go through income and expenditure and come to an agreement on payment plan without seeing any bank statements or anything else 

I was told I dont know if it is true that if you make an offer of a payment then they cant refuse it and this has always been true in my case 

Hope this helps and you get something sorted 

I wold also enquire as it isnt your mothers debt is it still recoverable, was you mother a guarantor or benefit from her will.

May be worth getting advice from CAB or welfare rights
  • horizons
    It was my Mother who was the guarantor of her mother ( I think )
  • janer1967
    Ok but you dont normally have a guarantor for DWP they are for loans and rent etc in case the lender doesn't pay 

Get some expert advice 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry my first reply doesn't even make sense to me now -( if your gran has died owing the DWP overpaid benefits then they can only be reclaimed from her estate, if she left no estate then no money is owed. I hope that makes more sense? But as @janer1967 says if in doubt get expert advice.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If she did leave estate then this shouldn't have been distributed until everything that was owed was repaid back, including the DWP overpayment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • horizons
    Hi,

If she did leave estate then this shouldn't have been distributed until everything that was owed was repaid back, including the DWP overpayment.
    Im not 100% sure about everything at this point. All I know is the amount that my Mother needs to pay back is about £500. A small amount that she is willing to pay back to avoid any drama, she is just wondering if she can make a re-payment plan over a certain amount of time, will the DPW Debt Management want to see bank statments or other documents before setting up the payment plan,as she is concerned about her privacy.

• janer1967
    As I said in my first post debt management dont usually ask for bank statements just income and expenditure 

Either speak to CAB or ask DWP 
  • horizons
    They have already said that she can set up a payment plan. This is a situation that went back 4 years ago, so its not recent. The case is abit complex. But all I know is that they have said that she can sep-up a payment plan
  • horizons
    edited July 2020
    The decision was made about 3 and a half  years ago. Shortly after that she spoke to the DWP, they told her to forget all about it. And  we did, then she gets a follow up letter 2 weeks ago reminding her that they have tried to contact her and so forth, and she has two options, to pay in full or to set up payment plan. And my mother was the executor. So thats why they contacted her.As others have said, I think Im going to CAB , as its abit complex. And I really think me and my mother just need to speak to someone. But thanks for the advise given.Will take that into consideration

• horizons
    edited July 2020
    I will have to get some more info and facts , but we have decided to fight the case and not give in so easy. From what we have read on here and other sites.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.