not feeling good — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

not feeling good

georgiamaeslash
georgiamaeslash Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I posted a week or two ago now about my situation and got some great responses but things are just getting worse. I applied for pip in feb after getting my esa suspended as I enrolled into uni. I do most of my work from home and it has m]helped me clear my mind, I study art and most of my student finance goes to equipment so I can work from home. Meanwhile, during my telephone assessment, I was given 6 points for living allowance and 4 for mobility so I did a MR on the 5th June. I’m still waiting to hear back and things have progressively got worse, my mum has had to stay home to stop me ending my life as these thoughts keep occurring and my mental health has just gone out of the window. I feel like I need to leave uni just so I can get by as this whole process is making me panic and I’m so worried for myself and the future. Could someone please tell me the current success rates of mr with 6 points and how much longer I’d be looking to hear something and how long tribunals are taking as I want to prepare myself for that too and will things get backdated? I’m in so much debt and everything’s just going downhill and I really don’t know how long I can hold on for. I’m so sorry for the rant but I’m desperate and quite frankly. Scared.  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm sorry to hear of your worsening condition and i'm glad to hear that you have your mum for support.

There's no timescales for MR decisions but sometimes is can take inexcess of 10 weeks but this is just a guide. Backlogs cause delays.

MR success rate before Covid19 was very low and most MR decisions remained the same. However, it does seem as though MR decisions are more positive with good outcomes, since Covid19.

If the MR decision doesn't change then it's Tribunal where there's much more chance of success.

Hopefully you're not waiting too much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @georgiamaeslash

How are you today? Have you heard anything back from the MR? 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi i am sorry to hear things have got worse for you and you are still awaiting the MR decision

Try and not give up uni this must have been your dream, and also by the time the new term starts things may have got sorted with your PIP claim
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @georgiamaeslash, I'm sorry to hear your health has deteriorated. I imagine it's really difficult to concentrate on university work with suicidal thoughts. Are your university aware you are struggling?

Disability Student Allowance might be able to help with some of the adjustments.

Just to clarify, do you currently have any mental health support? You can use an NHS directory to see what mental health support is available in your area. Some of these might be self-referrals so you wouldn't need to see your GP.

You can call Samaritians on 116 123 to be in touch with a crisis volunteer. Also, SHOUT have a similar service which is mental health support over text. If you text SHOUT to 85258 a crisis volunteer will be in touch. 

MIND also have guidance on how to manage suicidal thoughts

I'm really glad to hear your mum has been able to support you through this, and fingers crossed for your appeal!

Please do let us know how you get on and if we can do anything else to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.