moving info — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

moving info

nightwars
nightwars Community member Posts: 12 Listener
im living at home with parents right now and their taking care of me, but im wondering what would happen if i move in with my boyfriend? my needs will still be the same as is the help im getting just the person with me is changing?

Comments

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there welcome I know from my experience im
    only entitled to claim pip as my partners income counts for every thing so if you receive income based ESA and certain other benefits it will go off your partners income . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    nightwars said:
    im living at home with parents right now and their taking care of me, but im wondering what would happen if i move in with my boyfriend? my needs will still be the same as is the help im getting just the person with me is changing?

HI and welcome,

It will totally depend on exactly what benefits you're claiming. PIP and DLA aren't means tested so won't be affected. Other benefits could be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JJackson1
    JJackson1 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    @cupcake88 how are you at the moment
  • cupcake88
    @JJackson1 excuse me sorry ? How am I in what way ? 
  • JJackson1
  • cupcake88
    My health is up and down thanks for asking . 
  • cupcake88
    @nightwars  does your partner work full or part time ? 
  • JJackson1
    @nightwars it's ok with your pertnets but when you move in with your boyfriend it's going to be fine because he will make sure you get the help you need
  • poppy123456
    cupcake88 said:
    @nightwars  does your partner work full or part time ? 

That may not make any difference here. It wil totally depend on exactly what benefits the other person claims.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • nightwars
    my boyfriend does night shifts i think full time and he doesnt get any benefits, just me
  • poppy123456
    nightwars said:
    my boyfriend does night shifts i think full time and he doesnt get any benefits, just me

Without knowing exactly what benefits you're claiming then it's impossible to answer your question.
  • nightwars
    pip and esa, i think its the non income one?
  • poppy123456
    You will need to make sure you know exactly which ESA it is that you're claiming. People do get confused with the difference between the 2. You can ring DWP to ask and they will tell you if it's Contributions based, Income Related or Contributions based with an Income related top up.

As you're single then my guess is that part of it is Income Related, if so then moving in with your partner that works will affect this. No one can really advise you correctly unless you're 100% sure of the benefits you're claiming.

Regardless of that, all changes must be reported anyway. If you do move then a change of address is needed at least.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.