I have ongoing problems with my knee, and it's affecting my employment. What are my options? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have ongoing problems with my knee, and it's affecting my employment. What are my options?

seanyangel
seanyangel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2020 in Work and employment
Within the last two years I have had a full knee replacement and a year later revision surgery to correct a problem. I am now told that it was unsuccessful and I will have flexion problems and endure swelling when walking on it for more than 20 mins. I am 55 years of age still feeling full of life an ex firefighter and it's affecting my health and well being. I can sit down to work only if I can extend my knee almost to straight with limited bend. Trying to bend is very painful. Walking upstairs is  it too bad coming down a struggle. Not exactly a sure bet for getting employment. Surgeon has said he can do no more for me and I have to get on with it. Easier said than done, what are my options for help I need an income .

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

A disability benefit called PIP is a starting point but it's not awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. A successful claim can take several months, maybe longer.

For anything else then it totally depends on your circumstances and with no information it's impossible to give any advice.

Do you work? if not have you worked in the past 2 year? Live with a partner? or alone? do you rent or own your own home?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @seanyangel

Good Morning it’s great to meet you today.

It’s great to see you have already meet my good friend@poppy123456

We have got many members in the same boat like myself with Chronic Pain.

Here’s some links below for you to browse through.

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/72756/chronic-pain

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/72324/experiences-of-people-living-with-chronic-pain

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @seanyangel - & welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. If I can just add to the advice above......about stairs (if this hasn't already been mentioned to you), remember this, 'the good go up to heaven, & the bad go down to hell' In other words going up stairs, use your good (unaffected) leg first, then bring your bad leg up to the same step; going down, then it's your bad leg first, then bring your good leg to the same step. It takes just that little bit longer, but should be less painful.
    There's also some advice here on Scope to help people with disabilities as regards employment. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/    & also Scope's 'Support to Work' scheme: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work/
    I hope some of this may help, but do come back with any questions. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @seanyangel, and welcome to the community, we're glad you found us :) I'm sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your knee, and that this has been affecting your employment but, as the others have said, you're definitely not alone in this! I'd recommend checking out all of the links they've sent you when you can. 

How are you doing today? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, glad to have you on board

Maybe see a physio as they gave me lots of different techniques of getting upstairs after I had my leg amputated so without walking.

I hope you get sorted and any help you need regarding claiming benefits or adaptions and equipment then let us know and qwe can help
  • seanyangel
    seanyangel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for the welcome. The stairs issue depends on the depth of the riser...ie the height of the actual step. If it is quite high when coming down my affected knee will not clear the edge of the step and causes me to have to come down sideways..which at home is okay out in public slows and annoys people behind me. Even stepping over obstructions it's always good leg first as the other will not clear the object. I try daily to flex it more  it eventually it becomes swollen and bends even less. I own my own home still with a mortgage and live with my lady partner who works fulltime. I have a pension from the fire service but that doesn't cover all my bills so still need to work and as I stated I just turned 55 in May. 
    I can drive albeit having to throw myself in head first over to the passenger side as my knee does not bend enough to get in normally. I cannot run on it and walking any time over 20 mins max causes swelling . Not ideal but there are a lot worse off than myself so I hate complaining just need solid advice on where to start. Kindest Regards. Sean 
  • emarie
    emarie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I've been finding infrared clothing a good solution for swelling and pain in my joints, meant to be good for surgery recovery and the like but I got some trousers at https://kymiramedical.com/collections/mens-lower-body/products/mens-leggings?variant=15489719795821

Brightness