My eldest child is currently going through diagnosis for ASD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My eldest child is currently going through diagnosis for ASD

emg5
emg5 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
My name is Emma, I've just joined the community. I have 2 children and my eldest is currently going through diagnosis for ASD.
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @emg5 - Welcome to this great community, & thank you for joining, Emma. How have you been managing over recent months, & has it slowed down the process of looking at ASD in your eldest child?
  • emg5
    Thank you :)
    Yes it has, we had our appointment in January with paediatrician and were waiting on a school observation then we should have got the diagnosis. However due to lockdown we're now in a holding position as we still need the school observation before they can proceed. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @emg5 - I hope the paediatrician was helpful, & hope it won't be too long until the school observation. If your child is on the pathway to getting a diagnosis, just to let you know Scope can give parents great support with their 'Navigate' programme. Here's the link so you can have a look: https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/navigate/   Hope this may help. :)

• emg5
    Thank you, I have just started the navigate programme, had my first chat today. They were the ones to point me in the direction of this community :) 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    @emg5

Good Afternoon it’s great to see that you have already meet @chairieds

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We are all here to help/support any new members.

Please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with???

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us here . . Its unfortunate for you the delay in getting a diagnosis but hope when schools are back up and running you dont have to wit too long 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @emg5! It's great to see you here. 

You might find the Parents and Carers section of the community valuable, as you can connect with other parents experiencing similar situations. You might also like to browse through some of the discussions under the Autism and Aspergers category. 

I hope you're enjoying exploring the community so far? Let us know if there's anything we can help you with :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • n4i14
    n4i14 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi @emg5,
    Did your GP make a direct referral to a Paediatrician for an ASD assessment. I was told by my GP they cannot do this for my child and referred me to a Child Trust instead. Waiting lists are horrendous! I would be keen to find out more information on the process of the assessment please.
    Many thanks x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    n4i14 said:
    Hi @emg5,
    Did your GP make a direct referral to a Paediatrician for an ASD assessment. I was told by my GP they cannot do this for my child and referred me to a Child Trust instead. Waiting lists are horrendous! I would be keen to find out more information on the process of the assessment please.
    Many thanks x

Hi,
    You have posted on a thread that's 14 months old and the original poster hasn't returned to the community for about the same time. Starting a new thread would have been better, this way your question wouldn't have been missed.
    For the ASD assessment there's a few different parts to it. First they will ask you questions about your childs past development, how they interacted with others, did they play alone or with others, what age they started talking, various other questions about your childs development, right up to the present day.
    It's possible they may visit your childs school a few times to watch them during class, watch during break time to see how they interact with others etc etc.
    They may ask your child to preform various tasks in room with a few other adults watching. They tasks could include imaginary play, explain a picture in detail (depending on childs age) tell a story from a picture, again depending on childs age. They will also ask for various reports from your childs school.
    My daughter went through all of this, although she was 17 the procedure is still the same. They visited her college 3 times. I had 2 appointments where questions were asked about her abilities, so i had to talk about her whole life.
    Yes, waiting times for assessments, if they agree to do one could be a couple of years and the pandemic has naturally increased that waiting time considerably.
    Hope this helps,
    Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • emg5
    Hiya 
    Yes it was through the gp. I don't think we have a child trust where I am.
    The process is really slow going and mine has been even more slow due to covid. I had an initial questionnaire, then a face to face appointment with a paediatrician. We're now waiting for a school observation following more questionnaires that both me and school completed.
    Hope this helps 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @emg5. I'm sorry to read you're still waiting. I've had a similar experience and wait times in my area were around 2 years before Covid and are now closer to 3. It sounds like things are finally moving for you if you've had more questionnaires sent so fingers crossed you're not waiting much longer now. 
    How are you and your children doing? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • emg5
    Yes things are moving forward now, paediatrician was due to do a school obs before half term but we were isolating due to covid, typical!! Hopefully he'll do it after the holidays. 
    We're all good, but starting the process for my youngest after half term, new battle to commence. 

Brightness