Not happy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not happy

ChloeHibbert
ChloeHibbert Community member Posts: 47 Listener
Sorry for this ramble .....

my friend Jamie who has only depression got declined for PIP and he’s just said I don’t understand how people with special needs get it. can anyone answer that? he’s really upset me :(( I got my PIP because I was in a special needs school and have ADHD and a personality disorder. but the decision maker said the special needs unit player a big factor in making my decision. and I got it straight away. Sorry to ramble just upset that’s all. 

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't about your diagnosis.  It's about what you can and can't do.  If you compare your lives, you'll probably find he can do some things that you can't...and vice versa.  It just depends which of those things fit into the PIP descriptors.

If this is his first assessment, he can now go on to Mandatory Reconsideration.  He'll need to focus on the descriptors that he fits into and try to get more evidence to back up those claims.  :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @ChloeHibbert.
    It sounds like your friend may be feeling a bit bitter about them not receiving PIP. I’m sorry they’ve upset you.

It’s important to remember that no one receives PIP for a specific condition, it’s about the impact of that condition rather than the condition itself. So two people with the same diagnosis won’t necessarily receive the same results from PIP because their condition may affect them differently.

I think it shows your friend may not quite understand PIP and the descriptors and I’m sorry they’re making you feel bad.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ChloeHibbert
    @OverlyAnxious thanks for your reply. that’s what I said to him. but why did the decision maker say going to a special needs school played a big factor in making his decision? X
  • ChloeHibbert
    @Adrian_Scope thanks for your message. I appreciate it. I told him this. but he doesn’t listen! why did the decision maker say going to a special needs school played a big factor in him making his decision? x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    @ChloeHibbert I saw a post earlier by @Username_removed that may help with that. Another member queried why their assessor had asked what sort of school they attended and why its relevant. Here’s Mike’s reply:

The sort of school you went to indicates if you went to a non-mainstream school because you had educational needs triggered by learning disability say or sensory loss. It tells them about broad levels of likely impairment. Again it feeds into engagement, communication, reading etc.”

The fact you went to a SEN school has helped support the evidence of your level of needs. The decision won’t be based on the fact you went to a non-mainstream school but this will have helped support your claim as evidence.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ChloeHibbert
    @Adrian_Scope thanks for your reply. @Username_removed if you can reply to that message I would appreciate it hun. X
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    There are some nasty people out there. Adrian has quoted Mike's reply from another thread perfectly and explains it fully.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ChloeHibbert
    @poppy123456 thank you. I got a letter from my GP I have blanked some out what does this mean anyone ? 
  • ChloeHibbert
    @poppy123456
    @Username_removed
    @Adrian_Scope
    what does that mean ? It’s on my letter. 
  • ChloeHibbert
    @poppy123456
    @Username_removed
    @Adrian_Scope
    what does that mean ? It’s on my letter. 
  • ChloeHibbert
    I have a letter saying this from the doctors 

Any additional communication / learning needs and it says this 

I. e visual hearing, impairment, learning difficulties. Autism, Adhd illiteracy or difficulties of this nature. 

• poppy123456
    It means you have all those conditions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ChloeHibbert
    @poppy123456 thanks. just I didn’t no what it means” that’s all. they accepted my award review so I’m happy. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ChloeHibbert Try and not let you friend upset you, you have been awarded PIP by an assessor and through the correct channels and have been assessed like everyone else.

It isnt about any one condition but how it affects you 2 people could have exactly the same condition but it can affect their daily life very differently

You friend will be angry about the decision and should try and focus their energy on completing a MR if they feel they should have been awarded 
  • ChloeHibbert
  • poppy123456
    @ChloeHibbert i'm not sure exaclty what it is that you're asking here. They are all conditions which affect you. Hearing and visual impairment means you have problems seeing and hearing. Learning disability means you find it harder to learn different skills. ADHD is a behaviour disorder.

I'm sure you know how you're affected each day by your conditions.

Please try not to worry about what anyone else thinks because it's none of their buisness.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @ChloeHibbert - I could be wrong, but to me it reads like your doctor has been asked if you have additional communication/learning needs, for example 'visual hearing, impairment, learning difficulties. Autism, Adhd illiteracy or difficulties of this nature'.
    I don't take it that your doctor means you have all of these problems, just that you have some communication or learning needs. From what I remember you saying, you have some learning difficulties, that's all.
  • ChloeHibbert
    @chiarieds I have learning difficulties, ADHD , autism. so I’m not sure what it means. are you saying that it means I don’t have them? sorry I’m not clever. X
  • ChloeHibbert
    @poppy123456 they have all this into account and accepted my award review so I’m happy. my friend just was being horrible because he didn’t get it. 
  • poppy123456
    I have a letter saying this from the doctors 

Any additional communication / learning needs and it says this 

I. e visual hearing, impairment, learning difficulties. Autism, Adhd illiteracy or difficulties of this nature. 

What does that mean please 

You asked this question... but i'm not sure what exactly you're asking based on this. No one here is questioning what diagnosis, you have or don't have.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.