PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Not happy

ChloeHibbertChloeHibbert Member Posts: 47 Listener
Sorry for this ramble .....

my friend Jamie who has only depression got declined for PIP and he’s just said I don’t understand how people with special needs get it. can anyone answer that? he’s really upset me :(( I got my PIP because I was in a special needs school and have ADHD and a personality disorder. but the decision maker said the special needs unit player a big factor in making my decision. and I got it straight away. Sorry to ramble just upset that’s all. 

Replies

• OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,443 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't about your diagnosis.  It's about what you can and can't do.  If you compare your lives, you'll probably find he can do some things that you can't...and vice versa.  It just depends which of those things fit into the PIP descriptors.

If this is his first assessment, he can now go on to Mandatory Reconsideration.  He'll need to focus on the descriptors that he fits into and try to get more evidence to back up those claims.  :)
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,002

Scope community team

Hi @ChloeHibbert.
    It sounds like your friend may be feeling a bit bitter about them not receiving PIP. I’m sorry they’ve upset you.

It’s important to remember that no one receives PIP for a specific condition, it’s about the impact of that condition rather than the condition itself. So two people with the same diagnosis won’t necessarily receive the same results from PIP because their condition may affect them differently.

I think it shows your friend may not quite understand PIP and the descriptors and I’m sorry they’re making you feel bad.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ChloeHibbertChloeHibbert Member Posts: 47 Listener
    @OverlyAnxious thanks for your reply. that’s what I said to him. but why did the decision maker say going to a special needs school played a big factor in making his decision? X
    @Adrian_Scope thanks for your message. I appreciate it. I told him this. but he doesn’t listen! why did the decision maker say going to a special needs school played a big factor in him making his decision? x

Scope community team

@ChloeHibbert I saw a post earlier by @mikehughescq that may help with that. Another member queried why their assessor had asked what sort of school they attended and why its relevant. Here’s Mike’s reply:

”The sort of school you went to indicates if you went to a non-mainstream school because you had educational needs triggered by learning disability say or sensory loss. It tells them about broad levels of likely impairment. Again it feeds into engagement, communication, reading etc.”

The fact you went to a SEN school has helped support the evidence of your level of needs. The decision won’t be based on the fact you went to a non-mainstream school but this will have helped support your claim as evidence.
    Community Manager
    Scope
    @Adrian_Scope thanks for your reply. @mikehughescq if you can reply to that message I would appreciate it hun. X
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    There are some nasty people out there. Adrian has quoted Mike's reply from another thread perfectly and explains it fully.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    @poppy123456 thank you. I got a letter from my GP I have blanked some out what does this mean anyone ? 
    @poppy123456
    @mikehughescq
    @Adrian_Scope
    what does that mean ? It’s on my letter. 
    @poppy123456
    @mikehughescq
    @Adrian_Scope
    what does that mean ? It’s on my letter. 
    I have a letter saying this from the doctors 

Any additional communication / learning needs and it says this 

I. e visual hearing, impairment, learning difficulties. Autism, Adhd illiteracy or difficulties of this nature. 

It means you have all those conditions.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    @poppy123456 thanks. just I didn’t no what it means” that’s all. they accepted my award review so I’m happy. 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ChloeHibbert Try and not let you friend upset you, you have been awarded PIP by an assessor and through the correct channels and have been assessed like everyone else.

It isnt about any one condition but how it affects you 2 people could have exactly the same condition but it can affect their daily life very differently

You friend will be angry about the decision and should try and focus their energy on completing a MR if they feel they should have been awarded 
    @ChloeHibbert i'm not sure exaclty what it is that you're asking here. They are all conditions which affect you. Hearing and visual impairment means you have problems seeing and hearing. Learning disability means you find it harder to learn different skills. ADHD is a behaviour disorder.

I'm sure you know how you're affected each day by your conditions.

Please try not to worry about what anyone else thinks because it's none of their buisness.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,203 Disability Gamechanger
    @ChloeHibbert - I could be wrong, but to me it reads like your doctor has been asked if you have additional communication/learning needs, for example 'visual hearing, impairment, learning difficulties. Autism, Adhd illiteracy or difficulties of this nature'.
    I don't take it that your doctor means you have all of these problems, just that you have some communication or learning needs. From what I remember you saying, you have some learning difficulties, that's all.
    @chiarieds I have learning difficulties, ADHD , autism. so I’m not sure what it means. are you saying that it means I don’t have them? sorry I’m not clever. X
    @poppy123456 they have all this into account and accepted my award review so I’m happy. my friend just was being horrible because he didn’t get it. 
    I have a letter saying this from the doctors 

Any additional communication / learning needs and it says this 

I. e visual hearing, impairment, learning difficulties. Autism, Adhd illiteracy or difficulties of this nature. 

What does that mean please 

You asked this question... but i'm not sure what exactly you're asking based on this. No one here is questioning what diagnosis, you have or don't have.
    @poppy123456 thanks for your reply. From what @chiarieds is saying my doctor is not saying I’ve got them? Off that letter I’m confused. ...
  • cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 954 Pioneering
    I’m sorry to hear your friend said that some people can be really rude and not think what they say or there just plain rude . If he was a good friend he would be happy that you received pip and not be negative . Hope your feeling better now . 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,203 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    If you have learning difficulties + AHD & autism (which I wasn't aware of, sorry), then they are not in dispute. It just seemed to me (& I did say I could be wrong), that your doctor had been asked about your problems, & my understanding from what you have said before was that you had learning difficulties. I certainly had not read anything in your posts to suggest you had a visual or hearing disorder.
    I've also tried to help you a lot in the past so very disappointed my post has been marked as spam. This may not be yourself; if it is I would kindly ask you to click on the 'Spam' button to remove this.
    [Removed by moderator]
    It really is time Scope either removed the 'Spam' button, or removed unfounded spams.
    @poppy123456 thanks for your reply. From what @chiarieds is saying my doctor is not saying I’ve got them? Off that letter I’m confused. ...

That's not what chiareds is saying here and i think you've blown this out of proportion. I'm still not even sure the reason why you asked what it means, that part still confuses me.
  • cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 954 Pioneering
    @chiarieds im sorry you was getting rude stuff posted on your wall you have always been nice and helpful so has every one so I don’t understand that . I’m not sure what the spam is I’m guessing people are just using it because they don’t agree . I have noticed that over this week there has been some threads turn negative and argumentative because they don’t want to be told other people’s opinions . I have personally gone threw hell these last few years since joining this forum I feel welcomed and I’m so greatful for advice . Every one on here is fighting a daily battle we are on here to show and receive surport so I’m sad to see that people are getting rude comments . You have been so amazing and kind . @poppy123456 I’m so greatful for your advice to do with pip I’m Really thankful and @janer1967 Thank you so much for your employerment tribunal insight as well that was so helpful , And thank you to every one on here
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,628 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Apologies. I’m not very clear what I’ve been asked to comment on.

[Removed by moderator]
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    @cupcake88 thank you for your kind words I am glad you have found my help supportive that's what I am here for and it's nice to see it is appreciated 
    Thank you @cupcake88 - Your kind words are very much appreciated. If someone doesn't like what you say, they can report it as 'spam.' As you've guessed, it's because they presumably don't agree with what you've said. It's unpleasant when someone does so without reason, & I got 2 within 2-3 hours yesterday evening. If anyone has a concern with a comment they should report it to the Scope team instead. You can however flag a post as 'spam' or click to 'report' it. I'm not very happy about this 'spam' feature, which seems open to abuse.
    Myself, poppy123456, janer1967, mikehughesesq, & many others, are here because helping others with a disability matters to us; it's disheartening when this is wrongly perceived, yet still we try.
    We do know who is doing this, & apologies for derailing this post.
    @cupcake88 thank you for those kinds words, it's lovely when members appreciate the time we spend on here. Sadly, there will always be some members who think otherwise.

Scope community team

edited August 2020
    Hello @ChloeHibbert. Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. Without seeing the letter it's difficult to know what was intended by that bit of text as I feel the formatting would be important here and potentially change the sentence. 

To me it reads that this first part "I. e visual hearing, impairment, learning difficulties." was giving an example of the communication and learning needs it is discussing and the second part "Autism, Adhd illiteracy or difficulties of this nature." is what your doctor has filled in to say are some of your conditions. 

I hope you're feeling a bit better today and that you and your friend have managed to smooth things over.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Scope community team

I've removed a few posts from this thread and will be emailing members to discuss.

I also wanted to add: we are aware that the spam function is being used incorrectly and are looking into what can be done about it. Unfortunately we currently have no way of removing unwarranted spam reports but are working on a solution as I know how upsetting it can be.
    Community Manager
    Scope
    @Adrian_Scope it’s ok. good morning hun and thanks for getting back to me. I contacted the surgery up and they said they are you conditions that’s what it means. as I was worried as it said I.E but they said I’ve nothing to worry about. PIP have received that and are happy with it anyway. wonder when F2F assessments will ever go a head? not that I need one but I am just curious. can’t see it being for a while! 
    @mikehughescq I contacted my surgery up this morning and they said they are my conditions. as I thought it sounded like they was giving examples ..... but they said no it means the conditions you have otherwise they wouldn’t be showing on your paperwork. 
  • depressedmum09depressedmum09 Member Posts: 34 Courageous
    @ChloeHibbert
    It sounds like your friend who suffers depression is maybe reflecting his low moods onto you because he didnt get PIP. I suffer with depression, generalised anxiety disorder and Biplor Type 1, I also have borderline personality disorder (what a mix). I was diagnosed with depression  and anxiety years ago and was receiving antidepressants and therapy, however, I was still able to work at that point as it didnt really affect my life too much. My condition got worse over the years and I was dianosed with bipolar. This was likely triggered by the awful way I lost my mum to cancer. Ive never been able to work since because my moods are too unstable. Just because I have bipolar doesnt mean I cant ever work, I have a friend who is a geography teacher in a mainstream school who also has bipolar and she works everyday. Everyone is different, just because your friend has depression doesnt neccessarily mean he will be entitled to PIP, your condition effects your daily life so you are entitled to the help, maybe that isnt the case for him. Try not let his decision get you down.
Sign in or join us to comment.