Had my telephone call from capita — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Had my telephone call from capita

geranicrete11
geranicrete11 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi guys.
Had my telephone call from capita and was on the phone for nearly two hours. I could not hear the guy he was mumbling. 
I felt totally degraded and he spoke to me like I was stupid.
He kept trying to trick me all the whole time.
He kept going back to the same question and confusing me.
He was not interested in anything I had to say about my problems. 
Ended up being a nervous reck.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geranicrete11

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Sorry to hear about your pip  capita phone call.

We have got a member who is very very good with Benefits.

I will forward your post onto her.

Hi @poppy123456

Can Yes please offer me some help/advice with this new post???

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear you found the assessment very difficult. Unfortunately, it's all part of the assessment process. They need to ask you those questions so they can get the full picture of how you're conditions affect your daily life. The time to tell them as much as possible was when filling out the form, the assessment is just for any extra information that's needed.

Not sure what benefit this is for but either way, if you live in the UK then wait about a week then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geranicrete11 - & welcome to the community. Was this an assessment for PIP? It must have been difficult as he was mumbling, however, they often ask questions which you feel they've already asked, but in a different way, trying to find out more, or going back & checking on what you've said.
    Mine was a face to face assessment, but, having answered how far I could walk without difficulty (& having already said I was pain the moment I was upright), got asked if I could walk to the end of the road, & then when my son said he took me to any Drs appointments, how far was it from my front door to his car parked outside (less than 3 metres). They're not exactly trying to 'trick' you, tho I'm sure it might have felt like it at the time.
    Try not to be down-hearted, the fact your assessment was quite long may hopefully mean he was actually trying to ensure he understood your problems.
    If this was for PIP, you can ring the DWP (tel: 0800 121 4433) & ask for a copy of the assessor's report in about a weeks time. This will give you an indication about any possible award, as the DWP Decision Maker usually goes along with this. You would still have to wait for your actual decision letter tho to confirm this.
    Let us all know how you get on once you've got a copy of the assessor's report as others here will advise further. For now, try & relax; at least your assessment is over. :)
  • geranicrete11
    Hi poppy123456.
    I fully understand they have to ask you questions, but he spoke to me very aggressive not taking into any accounts of my complex problems. 
    I told him I could not hear him. I am not deaf he was to quick and mumbling. 
    Told me he was not interested in my condition say yes or no he said.
    I have been on DLA for six years and had assessments at home no problem. 
    Trying to catch someone out is terrible we are only asking for help if we are entitled to it.. nothing more.
    Thanks poppy 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geranicrete11

Welcome to the online community, I hope you're well. 

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience during your call with the assessor, if you want to make a complaint about the service you received you can find information about how to do that here.

As mentioned above, you can wait a week or so and request a copy of the report and then when you get the decision, which can take about 12 weeks, you can appeal the outcome if you disagree with it.

Online Community Coordinator
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, unfortunately this is what an assessment is like but I agree the more you put on the form in the first place the less they need to ask.

In my last review I put t down at least 2 examples for each descriptor of how I am affected if I try to do the task or if I couldnt do it why not

All they did was call me to ask few questions no assessment and I was awarded

It may seem like they are trying to catch you out but unfortunately there are a lot of people who try to claim but are not rightfully entitled 
  • geranicrete11
    I have been getting pip for years never ever been treated like this ever.
    I have multiple problems which are severe... don't need catching out sent all my medical letters in. Even told him I was going in to surgery Friday for another operation.  During cov19.
    I know some people try to claim.  But don't class us all the same.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont class all the same just explaining why they need to question 

I am also disabled and claim PIP so fully understand 

It wasnt directed at you or anyone else just reasoning why they question during assessment 

Good luck with your claim and hope the operation goes well 

• geranicrete11
    OK I did tell him lots of time that I could not hear him. He was mumbling and kept dropping his ear piece!!!!
    I know he is only going from my detailed form and totally get that as I say I am an educated person and don't spend time on Facebook as you quoted.
    Why should a person with disabilities be treated in that manner!!! Sorry it's unacceptable by any means.
    You would have to be stupid to not realise they are not trained doctors and don't even look at your medical letters.
    Company decency and respect does not cost anything.

• poppy123456
    It's not clear whether this is a first time PIP claim transfering from DLA or whether it's a review for an existing PIP award. In one comment you say you've been claiming DLA for 6 years and in another comment you say you've been claiming PIP for years.

Either way, there's nothing more you can do right now until the decision's been made, other than request a copy of the report, if you live in the UK.

Once the decision's been made, if you're not happy then you'll have 1 month from that date to request the |Mandatory Reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi I had my pip assessment just over a week and im
    also waiting for the outcome . I was really panicked on the day and after but I have started to relax bout it now . My nurse called me yesterday and made me feel bit better bout my pip she said it’s some thing I need and quite rightly should have and she said if I don’t get awarded she will help me with the MR so that’s positive to here . Just see it like this if it’s a no then look forward to the loads of back pay you will edventually get . Even tho some people do have to appeal I like to think that people who are entitled to it do get it in the end . 

I’m nervous as well don’t get Me wrong but I just feel bit better bout it now . Hopefully I don’t have a 8 week wait but if so it’s in time for Xmas . 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    I cannot believe someone has flagged @chiarieds very helpful post. :o

• chiarieds
    Thank you @Cressida - it seems that the Scope team have managed to 'undo' this I've just noticed, so all is well. :)
  • cupcake88
    It just seems to be lately people just don’t seem to appreciate helpful posts . I understand when your stressed out and have worries you stress more and panic and you want to hear what you want to hear but the facts are the facts .

of course there are people like my self who appreciate every ones opinions and comments but I think flagging things up and reporting as spam is just a waste of time . We all are here to support each other threw our daily challenges I really don’t think there’s any need for reporting posts because you don’t like it . 

I’m so grateful for the practical Advice and the supportive advice .   

• chiarieds
    Thank you too @cupcake88 - you have made me feel supported recently with your kind posts. The spams I received have been removed from both threads, which is great. :)
  • cupcake88
    I’m just on hold to pip hopefully I’ll get a call agent who will send me my report out or even tell me over the phone if I’m lucky who knows . 
  • poppy123456
    chiarieds said:
    Thank you too @cupcake88 - you have made me feel supported recently with your kind posts. The spams I received have been removed from both threads, which is great. :)

Good to see that the "spam" button has now been completely removed. Thanks to admin for this!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.