Refusal of Blue Badge — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refusal of Blue Badge

Options
NPUK
NPUK Community member Posts: 17 Connected
edited August 2020 in Transport and travel
I'm supporting a family who have a disabled 5yr old child - she suffers from a rare life limiting disease.  She was recently awarded DLA - middle rate for care and higher rate for getting around.  Mum applied for a blue badge and they have refunded her money and not given a reason why she has been refused the badge.  From what i've written here would she be entitled?   Mum or dad would be the drivers and they are both able bodied but having a blue badge would make it easier for them when taking their daughter out.

Comments

• laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    Options
    Has mum contacted the local council to find out why they weren't entitled to it? If the child has higher rate DLA they should automatically be eligible for it. 
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome glad you have joined us. I am not too sure about blue badge eligibility for a child and I know each council have different criteria, so it may be worth contacting your local council .

If you dont have any luck maybe contact your local MP

Keep us updated on the outcome
  • NPUK
    Options
    Laurapeach - Thanks for your reply.  Mum applied for a blue badge before her daughter got DLA and was refused but they didn't give a reason.   I advised her to apply for DLA as that was probably the reason. I helped her with that and now she's been knocked back again but without a reason so she's just thinking she's not eligible and therefore hasn't contacted them.  I didn't want to advise her to appeal if she's not eligible as i don't want to waste her time.  Reading the reasons for why many get refused it sounded as though it has to be the driver who is disabled?  I was just hoping people on here would be able to advise.
  • Han_
    Han_ Community member Posts: 151 Pioneering
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hi @NPUK, I'm sorry that the family have been refused a blue badge.

The government website has some information here. It explains who is automatically eligible, including those who are over the age of 2 and receive the the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA). It therefore seems as though there should be automatic eligibility in this situation. 

Han
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Options
    HI,

It makes no sense why there's been a refusal. If the DLA award wasn't sent as proof then this could be reason for refusal. As others have advised a high rate DLA mobility award gives automatic entitlement to a BB.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • NPUK
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.  I will check out with the family if they sent proof of DLA and if not to write to the Council with proof.  Many thanks for your help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @NPUK

Welcome to the community.

Be sure to update us on how you get on with the situation, hopefully it's just a simple case of the council didn't have the proof, and once they get the proof the blue badge can be sorted. 

If there's ever any other help or advice you need, don't hesitate to ask :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • NPUK
    Options
    @Ross_Scope yes i'll definitely update you.  I've been in touch with mum, given advice and asked her to let me know how she gets on.   
  • NPUK
    Options
    @Ross_Scope she didn't send them the evidence so hopefully now she'll get the blue badge

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great news @NPUK. Hopefully she will! Let us know if you encounter any more problems :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • NPUK
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know she finally got the blue badge   :)

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yay! That must be a relief. Thanks for letting us know @NPUK :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great news thanks for sharing
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Fantastic news @NPUK, thanks for the update :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Amazing news @NPUK! Thanks for letting us know. :)
    Scope

Brightness