Accessing medical records — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Accessing medical records

geek84
geek84 Scope Member Posts: 98 Courageous
Good Morning Folks

I am a male in my 50s and have had health issues from birth.  A few years ago, I managed to get a record of my medical history from my doctor.  However, there are lots of medical terms and hand written notes that I cannot understand or don't know what they mean.
I contacted the doctor last year (before the virus outbreak) who said he hasn't got time to sit down and go through my medical records with me,  and now of course he is busy because of Covid19 etc.

Please advise where else I could ask for help to understand my medical records .

Thank You

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geek84

Good Morning I do hope that you are enjoying this lovely weather?????

Yes I worked in the Medical Records at one of my former rehab units for over ten years.

Have you asked your Consultant/hospital that you attended???

Please let me know if you need any further help?????

@steve51
  • geek84
    Good morning steve51
    Many thanks for your speedy reply.
    I haven't attended hospital for anything except during birth. I'm mostly interested in the medical records held by my GP. I persume my GP would also have details of any operations during birth?
    Thanks 
  • steve51
    Hi @geek84

No probs!!!!!!!

Yes you’re gp will be your best bet.

Can you contact your doctors surgery again to see if they can help??

Please let me know how things go & I will see if I can be off any further help/support.

@steve51

• geek84
    Thanks I did contact him last year when he said he hasn't the time to sit with me to go through my records with me and noe6I persume he'll say he's very busy because of covid 19?
    Also I've changed doctors a few times so he might say he also cannot read the handwriting of previous doctors??
  • steve51
    Hi @geek84

Yes things are very very difficult now as the gp’s are doing  there appointments over the phone.

I do hope that this help’s?????

Please please come back to me & we can look at other options for you.

@steve51
  • geek84
    Thanks i persume he may have all my medical history on a computer rather than paperwork?
  • steve51
    Hi @geek84

Yes all off your history should have followed you as you have changed your gp.

Your info should be on the system as when I worked in med recs I always had to do this  regularly.

@steve51
  • geek84
    That's great thank you 
  • steve51
    Hi @geek84

No probs my friend.

Please come back to me if you have any problems going forward?????

@steve51
  • geek84
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, trying to understand medical terminology can be a problem we the consultant sends you information about your diagnosis and uses medical information, terminology. I have resulted to looking on line for the terminology used for a clearer understanding of my condition and concerns also when being prescribed a new medication. This has given me an insight into my possible prognosis and a better understanding of my conditions.  I don’t dwell on it the possible downsides of my findings but try to remain focused on the positive elements and be grateful that I could be a lot worst.
  • geek84
  • geek84
    Hi Folks
    An update ...
    I rang the doctors who said I need to fill in a request form in order to access my medical records.  I  filled it in and give it in today  The form did mention that there will be a charge of between £10 and £50.  However, I have no idea of how they are going to decide on how much to charge.
    The form also said the medical notes would be made available within 21 days.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @geek84. They shouldn't charge you to access your records (see here: How to access your health records). 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • geek84
    Oh I see ... thanks for that. However perhaps they mean that they would charge if I want a paper copy of the records, which ideally I would want.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi,

Your GP can charge you for paper copies of your medical records. How much this will be will depend on your GP surgery.

For medical terminolagy then using google may help as there's usually a huge amount of information available on there.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • geek84
    Thanks poppy123456
  • male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    hi @geek84
    Hope you are keeping well and safe during these times.
    Have you had any success obtaining your medical records yet?
    I had to get copies of my records which went back the last 5 yes for my tribunal.  
    I had to wait the 21 days but there was no charge and all came in paper form. 
    As far as I understand  you are entitled to see you're reords with no charge.
    I may be wrong.
    I wish you good luck and maybe you will post here how you're getting on.

Best Wishes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    @male45 no charge for digital copies but they can charge for any paper copies.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    @poppy123456
    Hi poppy. Yes I agree they can. I wasn't though, probably various doctors will do their own thing.

Hope you're keeping well  and staying safe.

Best Wishes 

Brightness