Pip tribunal via phone — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip tribunal via phone

Gem2Boyz
Gem2Boyz Community member Posts: 16 Connected
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, please could someone advise on what to expect during a tribunal phone call. What are the key things to remember and any advise to help back my case?

Thank you

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gem2Boyz

Hope you're well :) 

Other members will be able to advise better than me at this current stage, but you might find this information on tribunals helpful.

I think the best thing I could advise from personal experience is to take some time beforehand to think about how your condition impacts your daily living and mobility, and think of examples to back that up. Also make sure you have submitted as much medical evidence as possible.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gem2Boyz

You might find reading this post on telephone tribunals useful, and this success story a little uplifting! 

I hope that one of our other members will be able to tell you a bit more about what to expect, and what information you might need to remember :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, I have not had a telepoine tribunal but I have had a f2f one there are many posts on here about them so please ceck out the PIP section

Go through your bundle and highlight where you think the wrong decision has been made and why. Have ready examples of what happens when you try and do the task eg how you do it, do you need support or aids, can you do the task if not why not, can you do it safely and repeat it

Have at hand all points you want to get across and tick them off as they ask the questions, at the end they will ask if there is anything you want to add and then you can give anything that has been missed

Good luck and keep us updated
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gem2Boyz - Just to add to the good advice already given, if you haven't looked at the descriptors/activities, or perhaps to refresh your memory, please see this link: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf   & read through the notes at the end too.
    If you need a question repeating, do ask. Think before you answer, & remember the questions will be about how you were at the time of your assessment.
    Phone tribunals currently have a higher success rate than before Covid-19, so everything's on your side (so long as you do your homework), & we'll all be rooting for you. :)

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,936 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Sending as much medical evidence as possible isn't going to help if that evidence doesn't state how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. Also if you do send medical evidence less is very often more. If that evidence doesn't state how you're affected then say to yourself, is that really going to help my claim.

The best evidence you can send HMCTS is your anecdotal evidence and this is what they will want to see. A couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.