Update for everyone with learning difficulties — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Update for everyone with learning difficulties

Options
ChloeHibbert
ChloeHibbert Community member Posts: 47 Listener
I just thought I would share this. before someone already states it I will mention it now. I no it’s not about the condition it’s about how it affects them ect ect. but I just wanted people to no that the DM said learning difficulties was the main reason I got awarded it regardless of what I can do ect ect. he said not all but most people that have special needs get it. he said there was other factors he had to take into account but going to a special needs unit and having ADHD / Personality disorder made it more straight forward, as it stated the things I can’t do. just wanted to share my story. 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for giving us an update on your story @ChloeHibbert
    I hope the DM helped you understand the decision better. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • ChloeHibbert
    Options
    @Cher_Scope no problem hun. Yes he did. he said it’s how it affects you not what diagnosis you have” but he did we have a legal obligation to take into account the claimant has special needs. I didn’t no they did but he said we do. u didn’t think they would tbh @Cher_Scope
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, you have learnt me something there @ChloeHibbert It's good to know how DM come to their decisions isn't it?  I hope you are having a nice Sunday!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • ChloeHibbert
    Options
    @Username_removed but he did say he made the decision based on many factors and the big factor was you went to a special needs school though. that’s what he said to me on the phone? 
  • Awesomelorenzo
    Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    Options
    So are you saying everyone with learning difficulties automatically gets it?
  • ChloeHibbert
    Options
    @Username_removed we can agree to disagree. I no for a fact people with special needs can get this benefit full stop. it’s not even a hard benefit to get if you do your research well enough. so many people that “blag” it get it without loads of evidence anyway. regardless if they have them issues or not. and fair play to them, if you can get it by talking loads of BS fantastic. as the ones that don’t need it get everything on a plate. I’m not going to argue with you just stating what I think. and even if i didn’t get it I would take it to a tribunal and rinse them for every penny anyway ? but I’m made up I got it and knew straight I would. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the ones that don't need it get everything on a plate" PIP isn't means tested so it doesn't matter how much money a person has if they have a disability that affects their daily life they have every right to claim it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ChloeHibbert
    Options
    @Username_removed all I am saying is the DM maker said the special needs played a big factor into him making his decision. he also said we have to take into account your special needs. You seem like a guy that knows his stuff. much more than me .... I don’t want to argue with you as I appreciate your advice and think you give people great advice on here. all I am saying is he did say we take special needs / ADHD into account. and the system is just on its ass,  I no a lad that I have reported has got full PIP he’s a pschpath and has ADHD and something else sorry can’t spell. and it’s been over 9 months and still he’s driving around in a new car. DWP haven’t done anything. p me right off ! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @ChloeHibbert
    While people with learning disabilities can get PIP, it's not guaranteed. It depends on how a person's condition impacts them personally. So two people with the same condition will not definitely receive the same award. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • ChloeHibbert
    Options
    @Username_removed I agree. do you work for the DWP? seem to no a lot. ! must do loads of research hun 
  • ChloeHibbert
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope that’s true I agree hun. he did say though a big factor that he taken into consideration was I was in a special needs unit “
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Someone with a lot of knowledge on the benefit system doesn't mean they work for DWP. Infact, i wouldn't trust anyone from DWP to give me advice on benefits. A lot of the time their advice is totally wrong.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.