PIP for ADHD, Anxiety, Depression. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP for ADHD, Anxiety, Depression.

AndyMet96
AndyMet96 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I'm just writing to see if anyone on here can feed me some information on PIP decisions after a telephone assessment. I have currently completed my telephone assessment 3 weeks ago and awaiting decision. I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 7 and attended a special school. I also had to attend a regedential programme for 12 weeks for my ADHD to be assessed by pyscharatrists because my behaviour and moods where hard on my mother. I currently don't take any medication for it as it made me very sick in the past and lost a lot of weight due to it. As I've grew up through adult hood I have tried to attempt suicide and been diagnosed with anxiety and depression from i was 18. I am now 24. I still live at home with my mum who does everything for me and I feel like I'm becoming a burden. I currently take citalopram for depression but still have really bad days. I have found it very hard in the past to hold down jobs due to my ADHD and anxiety. I totally rely on my mother for support.. Just want to see if there is anyone on here who has been awarded PIP for something similar. After my assessment the assessor informed me that my claim looked strong and they had all the information they needed from my doctor regarding my conditions but this doesn't make me feel comfortable cause I have seen so many people saying they've been let down by the assessor claiming it was lies. Be appreciated for some info on this. 
THANKS

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

It's worth remembering that PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

You can't compare 2 people when it comes to PIP because we're all affected differently by these conditions.

The HCP should not have said anything to you during the assessment because that's not what they are supposed to do. It's not their place to do that.

Not being able to work won't help a PIP claim because that's not what it's about. People claim PIP and work.

As you've had your assessment you can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report (PA4) to be sent to you. From this you'll have some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. You'll still need to wait for the decision though.

If you're not happy once you have the decision you'll have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory Reconsideration.
    Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AndyMet96
    Thanks for the reply. I understand PIP is how it effects you. My ADHD has given me problems from i was 7. I've seen numerous pyscharatrists growing up regarding it. I struggle to concentrate and focus which is why its hard to hold down jobs. I was in special needs classes throughout school until I was expelled from secondary school due to lashing out but was all down to my ADHD. My mother supports me till this day. Cooking'washing' etc. I had read that if you can prove that ADHD has prevented you from doing school work from a young age and had problems within school and continues into adult life that its severe enough to claim PIP.  I aint claiming PIP for a diagnoses as ive 3 different conditions diagnosed. I am claiming because I generally need the support. Without my mother I would need a carer to help me with the basics. I am very forgetful and like I said my ADHD causes me to lapse concentration and also struggle to fully focus on what I'm doing. Hoping to find someone on the same boat who has succeed in there claim. 
  • poppy123456
    Without knowing exactly how your conditions affect you then it's impossible to predict anything at this stage. It doesn't matter if someone else has claimed PIP for the same conditions because we are all affected differently. You'll hear of some people being awarded because of those conditions and others that have been refused.

It's exactly the same as ASD, you never get 2 people the same and that's why it's called a spectrum.

Give DWP a ring Monday when they open and request a copy of the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • AndyMet96
    Ok thanks for the info. Will give DWP Monday.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi Andy how are you I have mental illnesses I recently had my telephone assessment a couple of weeks ago and waiting to here back also . 

Good luck keep us updated ? 
  • AndyMet96
    I certainly will although I don't have much confidence on the positive outcome from what I've read regarding my conditions. Will probably have to appeal. Will keep you updated. 
  • poppy123456
    Lots of people successfully claim PIP first time without any problems at all. I claim for physical conditions and my daughter claims because of ASD, Learning disability and social anxiety disorder and niether of us have had any problems at all. Infact for my daughters last review she had a paper based assessment and has always claiming Enhanced for both parts.

Coming onto an internet forum and reading all the negative stories when waiting for a decision is probably the worst thing you can do. Obviously you will mostly only read the bad stories. If someone's had a decision they're happy with they have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AndyMet96

Welcome to the community :) I can see our posters have given you helpful advice since you joined.

Just so you know,  I've moved your thread onto our PIP discussion board here https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla I've done this so it's in a good spot if you need any more support.  I hope you are keeping well today.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AndyMet96

Good Morning & Welcome my friend.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I have also had a good experience with my pip.

Yes all your read about is the “Bad News”

Please come back to me if you need any further help with your pip????

@steve51
  • AndyMet96
    @steve51 thanks for the reply. Was your claim for PIP for a mental illness or for physical illness? Everything I have literally read about my conditions especially ADHD hasn't been promising. I haven't came across anyone who's had a positive outcome. 
  • poppy123456
    Of corse people claim successfully for mental health reasons and the way it affects them. As i said my daughter doesn't claim for any physical conditions. If you continue to read all the bad stories you'll convince yourself you're not going to be awarded successfully. It's impossible to predict anything at this stage.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AndyMet96

No probs my friend.

I used both physical & Mental within my form.

As these cause me many problems every day.

@steve51
  • depressedmum09
    depressedmum09 Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Hi  @AndyMet96,
    Ive just received my award letter for PIP. I suffer with depression, anxiety and bipolar. The assessor didnt miss anything off the report, she listed all my struggles. I was award 11 points for living and 0 points for mobility. I am seeking a mandatory reconsideration as I believe I am entitled to the enhanced rate of daily living. 
    I was stressed out thinking about what the report will say and how I will be scored because of the horror stories ive read on here but my experience was positive overall. Ive received an award and should have my backpay on wednesday this week. 
    Just hold out and request your own report, then you'll know what you are potentially facing xx
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AndyMet96 Welcome to the community glad you have joined us.

Try not to be put off you must have thought you were entitled when you made the claim and lots of other people are awarded for mental health conditions I am sure if you read a few threads you will find some success stories

Good luck 
  • Debbie1234
    Debbie1234 Community member Posts: 183 Courageous
    Hiya ?
    I hope your award goes well, please keep us updated. I know what you mean, I became obsessed reading all the feedback good and bad. Just to let you know I suffer with PTSD, borderline personality disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and panic attacks. I have just been awarded daily living 11 points and mobility 4 points after a MR. 
    There is hope ?
  • AndyMet96
    Well everyone. After a stressful and frustrating wait. I rang and got my decision over the phone today. I have been awarded standard living rate and standard mobility. Backdated to the 19th of December when the claim started. I still think I am entitled to more so going to appeal it and see where it gets me. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    At least you got an award and will get some pay while you appeal 

Just make the MR as good as it can be and good luck 
  • AndyMet96
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad you hear you've managed to get the standard living rate and standard mobility @AndyMet96! That's some great news.

Good luck with the appeal, and keep us updated with how it goes :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.