Space for all — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Space for all

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
Anyone else out there like me loving this social distancing?
I paid a short visit to a local store today (Rare for me) and found the extra space great. Getting around with crutches is hard enough in normal times but now with extra space I found it much easier. I haven't been to a restaurant for 6 months now but believe I will find getting to a table and going to the toilet far easier instead of trying to negotiate between tables and chairs crammed together, or around those people that have pushed their chairs too far back to get between. Or negotiate the long way around just to get to where I want to go.
For me this (New normal) suits me, it makes my life just that little bit easier. I also think those in wheelchairs will also find it better?
What a pity that shop and restaurant owners don't think about how hard a simple thing like getting around their premises is for people like us.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I have to agree, I use a long cane but people still walk into me far too often! I hope this will mean they are more mindful! 
    Scope

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    @Chloe_Scope I thought the response to this post would have brought a few more comments than it has?
    Maybe I was thinking along the wrong lines? And all is OK?
    ?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I think from recent news that this "new normal" will be with us well into the new year.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    @Dragonslayer I have noticed the changes since first the lockdown was announced.  First opening hours were much reduced and some times were reserved for NHS or at risk shoppers and long queues in the High Street.  Now there a often no queues and people are getting closer as we now wear masks so the 1m plus applies. As a person with poor sight I find it hard enough to shop but when I have to wait ages to get to the shelf I want only  to find others dart in between me and the shelf I wonder if others really care.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    The reason restaurants haven't previously adopted all this extra space is because they need all the tables they can physically get in to make a profit.  Most are just breaking even now, they can't go on like this forever but it will have to continue until there's a vaccine unless there's an alternate major breakthrough before then.

I hadn't realised just how fragile the whole economy is before Covid.  I admit I don't live a 'normal' life...I don't work, I don't have kids, I don't use any social places (bowling, bingo etc), I don't go on holidays, I rarely use any shop other than Tesco and I haven't eaten or drank anything outside of my home for over a decade.  But I'm only now finding out that sandwich shops and cafes rely on office workers in towns.  And those office workers rely on before/after school clubs to allow them to work full time.  Busses and trains rely on the carriages being full.  Sports stadiums rely on people buying food and drink.  Coastal villages rely on tourists buying stuff over the summer months.  Hotels rely on day visitors buying meals and afternoon teas.  Zoo's rely on people buying food and merch.  Cinemas and theatres rely on the majority of the seats being filled.  Of course, it seems obvious when you think about it, guess I've just never thought about it before!

Everything seems to be so heavily reliant on something else that it only takes one link to be broken and the whole lots starts to collapse...  I dread to think what'll happen when Brexit changes eventually start to come in as well!  :|

Back on topic, I've only had one experience of an empty shop so far which was very nice for me and I'd shop instore more if they were all like that - but obviously it's not good for them lol.  Sadly people still don't leave me alone outside...  I'm just starting to go back to open spaces and sit on benches but for some reason people still want to literally brush past me whilst I'm sat on the furthest possible bench well out of the way!  I've been trying to think of ways to make myself look more scary...apparently a hoody, dark glasses and resting b*tch face isn't having the desired effect!  :D
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I would have to agree being a wheelchair user that it is much easier to negotiate shops, restaurants, and other venues 

Even though we are allowed in more places now they still seem very quiet to me which is great for me.

We went to a restaurant in town though last weekend and it was very busy and noisy gave me a headache used to level of noise anymore (showing my age too)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Just wanted to see how everyone is doing. :)
    Scope

Brightness