Fun facts thread - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fun facts thread

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    The following can be read forward and backwards: Do geese see God?

Mind. blown.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    The two things which never stop growing on a human are ears and nose.
    what about hair? I hear you ask, yes okay,
    so the  three things which never stop growing on a human are ears, nose and hair.
    what about nails? I suspect I’ll hear you ask.
    true, the four things which never stop growing on a human being are ears, nose, hair and nails.  That’s it as far as I’m concerned. ? 

(What did the romans ever do for us?)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• colet
    colet CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    You can get done for being drunk in charged with a powered wheelchair 
  • leeCal
    edited August 2020

Kleenex tissues were originally intended for gas masks

There was a cotton shortage during World War I so Kimberly-Clark developed a thin, flat cotton substitute for the army to use as a filter in gas masks. The war ended before the material was perfected so the company redeveloped it to be smoother and softer, and called it Kleenex facial tissue instead.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal ooft you learn something new everyday! I'll have to remember all these random facts for the pub quiz :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    The two things which never stop growing on a human are ears and nose.
    what about hair? I hear you ask, yes okay,
    so the  three things which never stop growing on a human are ears, nose and hair.
    what about nails? I suspect I’ll hear you ask.
    true, the four things which never stop growing on a human being are ears, nose, hair and nails.  That’s it as far as I’m concerned. ? 

(What did the romans ever do for us?)

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • leeCal
    edited August 2020

Blue whales eat half a million calories in one mouthful

Thats 470,000 calories which is over 240 times the energy the whale uses to scoop the krill into its mouth, but whose counting!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Those greedy greedy blue whales! Although yeah like @Tori_Scope, I feel like I do that sometimes :D 

I've absolutely loved reading all these facts, there's some gems here.

The budgie with the largest vocabulary could speak 1,728 words. 

That's more than me I think
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • colet
    colet CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    You lose 100 hairs in a day 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Approximately 1 billion cards are given on Valentine's Day each year.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal

The man with the world’s deepest voice can make sounds humans can’t hear

The man, Tim Storms, can’t hear the note, which is eight octaves below the lowest G - but elephants can!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    News today - Death Valley hits 54.4C - in what could be highest temperature ever recorded on Earth.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal

What is the coldest place on Earth?

It is a high ridge in Antarctica on the East Antarctic Plateau where temperatures in several hollows can dip below minus 133.6 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 92 degrees Celsius) on a clear winter night.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    @leeCal

Certainly wouldn't want to go there on my holidays! 

There are no bridges across the entire width of the Amazon river 

• Ross_Alumni
    Australia has more camels than any other country in the world.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I am glad this thread had a bump, I enjoyed reading all of the facts.

A few more I can think of, but may have gotten muddled in my mind, so check them before you use them in your essays... :D 

- The watch company Rolex is majority-owned by a charitable trust. When the founder died he left a small percentage of his company to his family but the majority was put into a charitable trust. This means when you buy a Rolex (or Tudor) watch you are actually doing some good. However the company still sell watches as a private firm and not a charity which means unfortunately you cannot get tax relief to buy a Rolex!!!

- A bit dark this one, and it's said tongue in cheek - I'm not saying it is a good thing - it is just a fact that was on QI: Genghis Khan is possibly the single person to have done the most to slow down climate change out of any person who has ever existed. He is responsible for millions of deaths, but he did so several centuries ago, so those people have not reproduced through the generations and it means today the population is over a hundred million lower than it would have been if those people lived. People like certain WW2 leaders have not yet had the same long term impact as their actions were only committed a couple of generations ago.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited November 2020
    Yuck. What's wrong with broccoli as it is!?
    How much time do you have? Basically there's a LOT wrong with Brocolli in general IMO.

Interesting fact, apparently WWE Legend The Undertaker is scared of Cucumbers!

• Ross_Alumni
    That second one is strange but interesting @66Mustang :D 

Thanks for sharing both of them.

Snickers wasn't originally called Marathon, it was called Snickers, except in this country we didn't adopt that name until later and decided Marathon would be used here instead

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I read this online a while ago and haven't fact-checked, but apparently there are more trees on Earth than stars in the Milky Way
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness