Writing a story — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Writing a story

Jordan_90
Jordan_90 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
Hey guys I don't know if you can help me at all but for a long time now I have have been struggling to say the least and to express how I feel I have wanted to write a story on my experiences as not only living with a disability but with mental health issues too. I have had many attempts at doing this and it never seems to sound right any ideas are welcome 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Jordan_90

I can empathise.  I am just finishing university and some days I really struggle to write, and if I do manage to, it doesn't sound right.  

A mind map is my favourite way of planning writing and I think it might help you to try and work out what parts of living with an impairment you want to concentrate on.  I don't know if you have ever made a mind map before but it's involves splurging all your thoughts onto paper or screen, and then looking for themes to build on and explore.  It's also a good way of creating something colourful and gives me an excuse to use my pastel highlighters :D 

Well done you for wanting to share your experiences as a disabled person.  I am sure it will help others.  Don't put any immediate pressure on yourself though, it can take time.  

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Jordan_90
    Jordan_90 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
    @Cher_Scope yes I have used mind mapping before but this is such an intense topic 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    I once wrote a children’s book and I’d never previously been able to write more than a page or two before. Planning is the key, however it’s done by mindmap or otherwise.
    what I did was to write a very brief paragraph on every salient point I wanted to make on separate pieces of paper , every part of the story which was unique and then I ordered them to make sense as a chronological sequence. Then I put them together and started writing by filling out each paragraph into small chapters believe it or not. It was easy this way and the words just poured out!
    i hope this helps.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I second all of the advice above @Jordan_90! I know that, for me, it's the daunting blank pages that are the biggest barrier. It doesn't matter if the first draft you write is utter nonsense, you just need to get something down. It's much easier to edit and work on a piece you've written than to stare at a blank page or keep starting totally afresh. Also, the more you write, the more you'll discover your own voice, which is the most important thing I think. Just relax and try to enjoy the process :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jordan_90, writers block can certainly be a nightmare! Sometimes you need to start with words or phases that come to mind and work through that first before ideas appear. Hope you are doing well. :)
    Scope

Brightness