My first thread in a while. Your wildlife pictures please share ? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My first thread in a while. Your wildlife pictures please share ?

Comments

• Lauren95
    Lauren95 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Thank you everyone for the beautiful pictures keep them coming hope everyone is keeping well ? ?
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    @leeCal
    @Chloe_Scope
    @Tori_Scope
    @Cher_Scope
    @Adrian_Scope

As you and many others on the online community have read my other posts and have supported and helped me, I would just like to share without changing the subject of this thread that spending time with wildlife particularly going to the park to feed the squirrels really helps to lift my mood. I have a group of squirrels who I feed in the park. This enables me to focus on being outside with someone wonderful animals.?

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    I love time in the park too @RAwarrior and when I spot a squirrel I get really excited :D I'm so glad it helps you focus, I find it very relaxing being out in green open spaces.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @RAwarrior

I'm so glad to hear that spending time with wildlife has helped to lift your mood! I find that spending time outside helps me to sleep better in the evenings as well as making me feel more cheerful, so it's good all round.

Aww, who doesn't love a squirrel <3 I'm sure they're appreciative. I love the pictures you've attached above, they're really good! I especially like the last one you sent. Keep them coming :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • RAwarrior

I managed to take a photo of this tiny baby Tufted duck?
  • RAwarrior
    @Lauren95
    @Cher_Scope
    @Tori_Scope

Thank you for your lovely comments?

As you already know about my situation I am not going to go into detail here, however, particularly when I went through a very difficult period last year (because of what I have explained in great detail in my other posts) going to the park and feeding the squirrels and ducks really helped me. I find that once I am outside with what I call my little family of squirrels who run over to me when they see me, I focus on interacting with nature. They are such a sweet group of squirrels each with their own personalities? It’s really amazing about the difference it makes to me.?
  • RAwarrior
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    What amazing pictures @RAwarrior
  • RAwarrior
    @janer1967
    Thank you very much?
    It helps that the squirrels know me so I can get really close to take the photos.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Good tip my teenage son is starting to show an interest in photography took pics of flowers and boats so far 
  • RAwarrior

The photo of the squirrel lying on the floor was a photo of her waiting for me to feed her more hazelnuts?
  • Tori_Scope
    The duckling! It's so small! It's amazing that they know you and come over to you for food @RAwarrior. You're a proper little family. The one lying down looks like it's about to go skydiving :D 

• RAwarrior

Unfortunately I took lots of video clips of the baby tufted ducks and not photos. There were actually two baby Tufted ducks and I think they must have been newborns as they were so tiny.

I also feed two groups of mallards who come out onto the grass when they see me. One group has two baby mallards in it. I feed them duck and swan food as bread is extremely harmful for them (I have mentioned this in other posts). 
    I also feed a family of Coots with three baby Coots.?

Many thanks for your lovely comments. The squirrel does look like she is sky diving but what she was actually doing was trying to cool down because of the hot weather. They often lie flat out on the ground to cool down or rest.?

• Tori_Scope
    @RAwarrior

Awww. I love ducks. My favourite thing is the sound of their feed as they scuttle around. It's the small things in life  :D 

Yes I've heard about bread being bad for them! I feel as though I need to repent for my childhood sins of going down to the river with stale bread.

I might give that technique a go, I'm boiling!

• RAwarrior
    @Tori_Scope
    Thank you very much your comments?

You can feed ducks, geese, swans, cootd etc Duck and Swan food which floats on the water, you can buy I’m in pet stores or online ( as I do), frozen sweet corn, defrosted peas, oats or chopped up lettuce. As I have mentioned in another post bread is extremely harmful and can kill wildfowl especially ducklings or goslings. It can cause Angel Wings which means they won’t be able to fly and won’t live for very long. Humans feeding bread to wildlife harms them and  attracts rats. I have recently seen several Canada Geese goslings and Egyptian Geese goslings with Angel Wings which was really upsetting to see. I took pictures which I am not going to post because it is not  a nice sight but I took the pictures to email to the relevant park authority in order for them to put up some signs about not feeding bread to the wildfowl. 
    I will upload some more photos of my little park families soon including a standoff between two squirrels ? 
    Many thanks ?
  • RAwarrior
    @Lauren95
    @Tori_Scope
    Some more photos?
    She was rolling over much like a cat does when they are happy?

• RAwarrior
    @Lauren95
    @Tori_Scope
    Baby Coots getting fed by mum and dad. Unlike some other wildfowl the parents still feed the babies for a while.
  • Tori_Scope
    Yes they really should put up more signs @RAwarrior! I've noticed more in recent years, but they're not always there. Thank you for the tips :)

My heart is so full  <3 She's loving life

• Tori_Scope
    I have to say, I'd never heard of a coot before this thread @RAwarrior, but I love them!

• RAwarrior

Brightness