Gardening: Do you have green fingers? - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gardening: Do you have green fingers?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Dragonslayer - well my neighbours were amused by my 'anti-slug' stance. I used to think be kind & true to all creatures (except flies), but then slugs had more lettuce than I did last year. I used pellets, but they were still around. I used go around each morning, & pick them up with scissors, put them onto an old dustpan, & throw them onto the road.... well at least I didn't kill them! It seems with any slug infestation, you need to get rid of them from your garden, or there will be more the following year. There are many theories, & you will have to choose. I haven't found any slugs near my plants this year, & my lettuce is doing very well.
    About cats, I've used 'Silent Roar' Lion dung pellets in the past. When I acquired a kitten a while ago, I purchased it for both of my next door neighbours, who didn't appreciate her visits. Whilst I waited for my first purchase, some old CDs I had seemed to deter her from my first neighbour's front garden. Cats apparently don't like shiny reflective surfaces. Some say a plastic bottle partly filled with water can do the same. Anyway, here's some info that may help you decide how to solve this problem: https://www.deckinghero.com/reviews/cat-deterrents

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Really interesting @dkb123! Thank you for sharing this with us. :)
    Scope

• RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    @leeCal

Do you know the name of this plant?

I bought it a couple of years ago and it has flowered continuously, however, I have lost the label.   

I know you are a keen gardener so perhaps you might know the name? 

I would have posted this on the other gardening thread (the one where you have posted lots of photos of beautiful flowers) however, I can’t remember the title of the thread and I can’t find it. 

As you know I posted on the thread, however, I can’t find a way of accessing my previous posts without going through the email.

I tried my plant identification app but it can’t identify it. 

Many thanks?

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @RAwarrior I think I’ve seen it before but I don’t know it’s name. However my neighbour knows most plants so I’ll ask her later.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    @chiarieds what really gets rid of slugs and snails is a hedgehog ? 
    unfortunately they are becoming scarce. Me and my neighbour have little arched holes in our fences as hedgehog highways but alas they remain unused ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    @leeCal
    Thank you very much ?
  • RAwarrior
    @leeCal

Do you know the name of the other gardening thread?
    Many thanks ?
  • leeCal
    edited August 2020
    @RAwarrior plants and flowers you like/you’d like

― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    @leeCal

Thank you very much?
  • leeCal
    @RAwarrior it’s called abutilon megapotamicum

― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    @leeCal

Thank you so much for your help??

I am going do a label for it as I often lose the ones I get with the plant particularly as I find it difficult to push the label into the ground.

It is a really beautiful plant which has flowered for ages. As it is a wooded plant I will try to see if I can grow some cuttings from it. 

I bought it a while ago in a discount store but I have never seen one since even in a garden centre.

Many thanks?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leeCal - I have seen 2 hedgehogs in my garden (there's quite a gap under my front gate), & I saw one on the grassy area just beyond me some few weeks ago. I didn't know they ate slugs. Perhaps they cleared slugs up for me this year! I haven't put pellets down since I acquired my kitten some 15 months ago. I thought meticulously getting rid of them (slugs) before that had worked. I do live in a rural area, & have seen squirrels running along the top of my fence :)
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Started liftng red and white potatoes, and picking runner beans, and lifting onions and spring onions and carrots off my allotment. 

Tomorrow,ill try doing real fresh chips in the airfryer,see how they come out  

Also try doing some potatoes,and carrots and onions as vegetable crisps in the airfryer. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RAwarrior
    I came across this beautiful flower in the park a few weeks ago?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    What a lovely photo @RAwarrior, thanks for sharing :) 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    Looks like a dahlia @RAwarrior

― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
  • RAwarrior
    @leeCal

Thank you very much?

I didn’t know what it was but it caught my eye so I took a picture?
  • RAwarrior
    edited September 2020
    Talking of gardening, I saw this spider in the garden yesterday and I have never seen such a big or unusual spider before?

Thankfully I am not scared of spiders ? 

Brightness