Hi, my name is wizard and I have a question about finding housing in Bridgend. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is wizard and I have a question about finding housing in Bridgend.

Options
wizard
wizard Community member Posts: 1 Listener
We are looking for a house to rent in the Bridgend area for our daughter and her two children, two of the family are autistic and we are carers for them - the rents seem to be very high and out of reach for them, we are due to move in a few weeks to a bungalow there and we are desperate to find something for her and her children - can anyone help us to find cheaper housing or recommend something.  The council are not interested unless she's homeless even though they are disabled. 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hi @wizard and welcome to our online community.  

I'm sorry finding a house for your daughter and her two children is proving to be difficult.  Rent prices are high and it doesn't make it easy at all.

Shelter are a good organisation to contact for impartial housing advice and you can find their contact details on the Shelter Get Help webpage.

Also, Scope's Renting, buying and moving webpage has information around your daughter's entitlement and the housing services available.

I hope she has luck in finding a suitable place.  Please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,039 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

It is extremely difficult to be housed with socail housing and even more diffiicult if not impossible if you're moving to a different area. Unless you have a connection to the local area then it's almost a no go. Having disabilites doesn't always help as there's a shortage of housing and waiting lists are huge and some are many years long.

If privately renting then yes sometimes help with the rent doesn't pay all of it, it really depends on their circumstances.

I moved house in October last year because i needed to be closer to my daughter and it took almost a year to find the house i have now and that's privately rented.

All i can advise is that she keeps looking on the internet to see what becomes available. Although if she claims benefits for help with the rent then this is definitely not going to be an easy task.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us.

It is a very hard road to find suitable housing especially in a new area and as stated private rent could be an option but if on benefits this can put off landlords but some will rent out as long as they can pay 6 month up front rent and have a guarantor

Also look around the local area for adverts in newsagents and things. I also found gumtree had a lot of renting adverts

Good luck hope you manage to find something
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wizard, is there anything else I can do to help? :)
    Scope

Brightness