Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, my name is wizard and I have a question about finding housing in Bridgend.

wizardwizard Member Posts: 1 Listener
We are looking for a house to rent in the Bridgend area for our daughter and her two children, two of the family are autistic and we are carers for them - the rents seem to be very high and out of reach for them, we are due to move in a few weeks to a bungalow there and we are desperate to find something for her and her children - can anyone help us to find cheaper housing or recommend something.  The council are not interested unless she's homeless even though they are disabled. 


  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,334

    Scope community team

    edited August 2020
    Hi @wizard and welcome to our online community.  

    I'm sorry finding a house for your daughter and her two children is proving to be difficult.  Rent prices are high and it doesn't make it easy at all.

    Shelter are a good organisation to contact for impartial housing advice and you can find their contact details on the Shelter Get Help webpage.

    Also, Scope's Renting, buying and moving webpage has information around your daughter's entitlement and the housing services available.

    I hope she has luck in finding a suitable place.  Please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

    It is extremely difficult to be housed with socail housing and even more diffiicult if not impossible if you're moving to a different area. Unless you have a connection to the local area then it's almost a no go. Having disabilites doesn't always help as there's a shortage of housing and waiting lists are huge and some are many years long.

    If privately renting then yes sometimes help with the rent doesn't pay all of it, it really depends on their circumstances.

    I moved house in October last year because i needed to be closer to my daughter and it took almost a year to find the house i have now and that's privately rented.

    All i can advise is that she keeps looking on the internet to see what becomes available. Although if she claims benefits for help with the rent then this is definitely not going to be an easy task.

    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,132 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us.

    It is a very hard road to find suitable housing especially in a new area and as stated private rent could be an option but if on benefits this can put off landlords but some will rent out as long as they can pay 6 month up front rent and have a guarantor

    Also look around the local area for adverts in newsagents and things. I also found gumtree had a lot of renting adverts

    Good luck hope you manage to find something
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wizard, is there anything else I can do to help? :)
    Community Partner

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.