Quick question over carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Quick question over carers allowance

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
Hi all,
Does the fact my partner receives carers allowance affect my housing benefit and council tax as my local council have told me they've over paid me and I have to pay the money back?
Interestingly I see today the government has over paid self employed people but is not seeking to get the money back!
One law for some and one law for the low income and disabled people!
Thanks everyone.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I dont really know the answer nuy I am sure @poppy123456 will be able to help

Is that the reason they gave you for the overpayment or could it be due to something else
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Carers allowance can affect housing benefit and coucil tax reduction yes but it will depend on what other benefits are being claimed. Local councils have their own criteria for council tax reduction so i won't be able to give any advice regarding that.

For your housing benefit then it will depend on your circumstances for what you're entitled to. As we don't know any other information then it's impossible to give any advice.

You need to ask them the reason why you've been overpaid.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    They say they,ve been told by carers allowance department that my partner IS getting carers allowance and council claim they only recently were told and that's why they've over paid me?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    my ESA payment was reduced somewhat when my wife started claiming Carer’s allowance and I am in the support group.
  • [Deleted User]
    Yes , they give it with one hand and take away with the other, sadly
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    givingup said:
    Yes , they give it with one hand and take away with the other, sadly
    not quite they take it all back and then give you some back, it should always imho be paid in full.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    I remember that I had a similar situation with my transfer over to Carers Alllowance from Universal credit and had to pay it back in increments. 
    I found the Disability Rights Handbook very helpful which covers all benefits and can be bought from the Disability Rights UK. Membership of DR us I think around £7,50 per year.
  • [Deleted User]
    Personally I feel we've made good progress over rights for disabled but there's still along way to go

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.