Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Quick question over carers allowance

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
edited August 2020 in Carer's allowance
Hi all,
Does the fact my partner receives carers allowance affect my housing benefit and council tax as my local council have told me they've over paid me and I have to pay the money back?
Interestingly I see today the government has over paid self employed people but is not seeking to get the money back!
One law for some and one law for the low income and disabled people!
Thanks everyone.

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 12,058 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I dont really know the answer nuy I am sure @poppy123456 will be able to help

Is that the reason they gave you for the overpayment or could it be due to something else
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,234 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Carers allowance can affect housing benefit and coucil tax reduction yes but it will depend on what other benefits are being claimed. Local councils have their own criteria for council tax reduction so i won't be able to give any advice regarding that.

For your housing benefit then it will depend on your circumstances for what you're entitled to. As we don't know any other information then it's impossible to give any advice.

You need to ask them the reason why you've been overpaid.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    They say they,ve been told by carers allowance department that my partner IS getting carers allowance and council claim they only recently were told and that's why they've over paid me?
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,405 Disability Gamechanger
    my ESA payment was reduced somewhat when my wife started claiming Carer’s allowance and I am in the support group.
    Yes , they give it with one hand and take away with the other, sadly
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,104 Disability Gamechanger
    givingup said:
    Yes , they give it with one hand and take away with the other, sadly
    not quite they take it all back and then give you some back, it should always imho be paid in full.
    I will now only offer benefits advice on PIP, and specific benefits advice for other people with Epilepsy. 
  • davegregson40davegregson40 Member Posts: 81 Pioneering
    I remember that I had a similar situation with my transfer over to Carers Alllowance from Universal credit and had to pay it back in increments. 
    I found the Disability Rights Handbook very helpful which covers all benefits and can be bought from the Disability Rights UK. Membership of DR us I think around £7,50 per year.
    Personally I feel we've made good progress over rights for disabled but there's still along way to go
Sign in or join us to comment.