Could an assistance dog help you? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could an assistance dog help you?

Options
2»

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @woodbine
                            Thank you for sharing that as I wasn't aware of it. Please may I ask do you know whether they only train 5 dogs a year due to the nature of the training and limited resources in terms of people who can carry out the training or is more to do with factors such as funding? Thank you. 
    I think one of the reasons is that the training involves residential course, used to be based in Sheffield not sure if still there ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Hugo_Lamb
    Hugo_Lamb Community member Posts: 12 Courageous
    Options
    Hey @WestHam06 I get exactly what you mean - both a guide dog and wheelchair are classified as mobility aids to allow for independence and it is very saddening when ignorant people don't understand. 

In terms of what you're talking about for epilepsy dogs, I think it's both due to a lack of awareness of this as a service, and therefore a lack of funding, and the high cost of training dogs.  It always comes down to money in the end.  Guide dogs have it sussed with their advertising campaigns (i.e. put pictures of cute puppies and watch the money flood in).   
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Hugo_Lamb,  
                                 Thank you, I really hope that the attitudes towards guide dogs and assistant dogs starts to see change as their are vital life line to those who need them just as my wheelchair is too me. I am looking to develop a presentation and go into schools to talk about disability, mental health and overcoming adversity as I believe there is still such a lack of awareness of lots of different elements to disability. I believe one way to implement change in by educating people but as I say I am in the very early stages of doing this. I agree with what you say about their being a lack of awareness with regard to how specially trained dogs can support people with epilepsy as I wasn't aware of it until @woodbine commented on this post. It's so sad because as you say, like with most things, it all comes down to money. We must continue to strive for change and I thank you for sharing your story with us. Thank you. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hugo_Lamb said:
    Thanks Chloe!  Do you know when you will get yours?  I hope it's not too disrupted by covid! 
    Hi @Hugo_Lamb, I'm not sure unfortunately! Fingers crossed I wouldn't have to wait too long though. :)
    Scope

Brightness